Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Hard landscaping in Ireland, Garden Features (Paths, Patios, Paving, Decking, Walls etc)

CD uses in the garden and beyond

Most Recent Posts oops
Last post: kindredspirit
funny
Last post: kindredspirit
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Margo
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
inishindie
Rank attained: Tree plantation keeper

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 11:43 am    Post subject: CD uses in the garden and beyond Reply with quote

I don't know about you but we are getting more and more free CD's given to us with newspapers and magazines. I have mentioned before that they make great bird scarers if they are tied up and left to flap about in the wind. I have been asking around and built up a bit of a collection of other uses for shiny discs that should keep them out of the landfills for a while.

Garden no-no: One person has tried to set them in cement to use them as stepping stones. You might not be surprised to learn that this wasn't successful. They did not retain the holographic effect evenly and looked mottled or just like plates of plastic. Maybe it would have been better to cut them up and make mosaics.

Clocking off: Put a clock mechanism in the centre and have a small clock on the wall. Someone suggested fixing large clock hands on the wall then using 12 cd's as the numerals. Very contemporary I must say.

Scoop that poop: Another misdirected person suggested that they could be used as a pooper scooper, which is an interesting thought. Maybe the idea of being handed out as party invitations would be better.

Frosty: Use CDs to scrape frost and snow from car windows.

Charity shops: Donate them to charity shops where they can put a price label over the 'Not for resale' bit.

Disco ball - Cut them up into squares of about 1 cm with sharp and tough scissors, glue onto a foam ball and you have a disco ball
Someone suggested that they could be melted into shapes after being heated in the oven This can be dangerous because the discs will give off toxins especially the silver dye, which is very toxic. Using them as Frisbees is a bit dangerous too.

Chair leg stabiliser - Put felt on one side and use as chair leg stabiliser.

Drinks covers - helps keep drinks warmer or cooler at your desk. You could push the straw in the centre hole as well.

Drawing aids - Trace 4 3/4" circles (outside) or 9/16" circles inside. (I measured them, how sad is that?

Fridge magnets - put self-sticking magnets on the back.

Pom Poms: Put two disks together and wind wool through centre hole, over edges and back through centre hole. I do feel the centre hole may be a little small in comparison to the size of the disk so it may be better to take out the centre circle before starting (if you want more information about how to make pompoms, ask me later)

Look out: To stop anyone from creeping up behind you or to see what is going on behind you when on the computer, stick a CD to the corner of your PC monitor using Blu-Tack (like a rear view mirror) or just use them as a rather poor vanity mirror.

dinahdabble
Rank attained: Rowan Tree
Rank attained: Rowan Tree

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some good observations there! Any thoughts on uses for old pod-casts? I am sick of having them littering up the lawn!
Sive
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think there's a very creative brain somewhere behind all these ideas.......are you an inventor.....or maybe a writer ? If not, you should be......
artalis
Rank attained: Silver Birch Tree

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 4:20 pm    Post subject: CD design Reply with quote

How about a garden cloche, or a greenhouse from CD covers.

Wind chime sculptures from CD discs.

Room divider, from CD covers/discs to including slip music covers or favourite photos in each plastic cover.

Venetian blinds from CD discs.

Sturdy shiny columnar posts from stacked CD discs.

Mosaic tiles/ jewellery from cut CD fragments.

Wallpaper retro styler from discs or else from disc album covers.

Lamp shade from discs.

space age tube dress from cut discs.

watermill garden feature from CD discs

Spectacle frames Elton John style from CD discs

........see the cloche I designed with the idea of CD covers.....

artalis Very Happy Shocked Cool

CD1 cloche by artalis.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  100.85 KB
 Viewed:  4957 Time(s)

CD1 cloche by artalis.jpg

John 3:16
inishindie
Rank attained: Tree plantation keeper

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow...I thought I was off the wall...I can see a business venture here....

It reminds me of the venture when people were trying to find uses for the glass bowls in washing machines.....And then there's the use for old plastic bottles. We will be seeing an island built from them in the future but for now we have the greenhouses made from them....

bottle greenhouse.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  18.65 KB
 Viewed:  4914 Time(s)

bottle greenhouse.JPG

artalis

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 2:52 pm    Post subject: recycle mad Reply with quote

inishindie wrote:
Wow...I thought I was off the wall...I can see a business venture here....

It reminds me of the venture when people were trying to find uses for the glass bowls in washing machines.....And then there's the use for old plastic bottles. We will be seeing an island built from them in the future but for now we have the greenhouses made from them....

The possibilities are only limited by the imagination.......

artalis Very Happy Shocked Cool

CD structure-shanghai pavillion.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  28.1 KB
 Viewed:  4897 Time(s)

CD structure-shanghai pavillion.jpg

bottle-house.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  129.05 KB

bottle-house.jpg

bottle screen.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  72.06 KB

bottle screen.jpg

John 3:16
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Hard landscaping in Ireland, Garden Features (Paths, Patios, Paving, Decking, Walls etc) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: