Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irish Weeds & Pests and Diseases of the garden.

How risky is "Garlon"?

Most Recent Posts Garlic problem
Last post: Greengage
funny
Last post: ponddigger
Introduce yoursellf to whom.......................
Last post: Keeks
I'm new here
Last post: tagwex

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
daigo75
Rank attained: Hawthorn Tree
Rank attained: Hawthorn Tree

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 12:54 pm    Post subject: How risky is "Garlon"? Reply with quote

Hi,
Our landlord hired a contractor to cleanup the garden, and he's planning to use a herbicide called "Garlon", plus another one he says it's "safer", to kill the blackberries. I personally dislike poisons and, since my wife is now pregnant, I'd like to know if these poisons are dangerous to her (other than to our pets). My main concern regards the vegetables, which are close to the shrubs where the blackberries have roots. At the moment I stopped the gardener until I find more information (of course, NOT from the producers of the poison, as they have all the interests in declaring it safe). Thanks for all your answers.
Foxylock
Rank attained: Sessile Oak Tree
Rank attained: Sessile Oak Tree

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder what the other " safe " poison is that this guy intends to use ? If you google garlon you will get the msds sheets and this will help in your decision. I wouldn't take any chances with the health of an unborn child at stake and why kill the blackberries at all why not harvest and prune ? All the best with the pregnancy .... interesting times beckon.
michael brenock
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garlon should have no place in a vegetable or fruit growing area. Chemical name is Trichlopyr and contains pyridine, used mainly on grassland.
michael brenock horticultural advisor (retired)
simonj
Rank attained: Pedunculate oak tree

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dude, make your own - super cheap if you know someone in a small local shop, ask them to pick you up catering sized vinegar bottles and take it from there.

There are recipes here, just do a search on this foru for weed killer or see
http://connemaracroft.blogspot.com/2010/07/homemade-organic-garden-chemicals.html

And if MB says they have no place in a food growing area - I'd take that as gospel

inishindie
Rank attained: Tree plantation keeper

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great tips about the vinegar..

The overuse of chemicals is startling, mostly it's because someone can't be bothered to go out and do a bit of weeding or because of the unnecessary need for an area to look pristine and weed free..... Brambles are really easy to remove with a mattock, not when the blackberries are coming though Smile.

The info for Garlon and it's Triclopyr 2-butoxyethyl ester is ;

Medical advice
If the amount of chemical is judged to be less than a lethal dose, observe the patient and treat symptomatically. If gastric lavage is considered necessary, prevent aspiration of gastric material. Consider administration of activated charcoal and a laxative.
ACCIDENTAL RELEASE MEASURES
Personal precautions : Ensure suitable personal protection during removal of spillages. This means wearing eye protection, chemically resistant gloves, boots and coveralls.
Clean up methods : Adsorb spillages onto sand, earth or any suitable adsorbent material. Transfer to a container for disposal. Wash the spillage area with water. Washings must be prevented from entering surface water drains.
Spillages or uncontrolled discharges into water courses must be alerted to the appropriate regulatory body.

For vinegar, if you get a spillage or surplus you can put it on your chips at teatime......

rossinver organic centre reed bed.jpg
 Description:
Keep the diversity.....
 Filesize:  85.68 KB
 Viewed:  4225 Time(s)

rossinver organic centre reed bed.jpg

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irish Weeds & Pests and Diseases of the garden. All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: