Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland

No Victoria Plums

Most Recent Posts 2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Greengage
At last! A garden joke. (except maybe it's not a joke!)
Last post: Sue Deacon
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns
funny
Last post: tagwex

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
inishindie
Rank attained: Tree plantation keeper

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:28 am    Post subject: No Victoria Plums Reply with quote

Hi

This year I have no plums on my Victoria. It was ok last. I know the frosts were very late and probably destroyed the blossom. there are huge long growths. Should I prune them now and how should I do it?

Thanks

artalis
Rank attained: Silver Birch Tree
Rank attained: Silver Birch Tree

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 3:41 pm    Post subject: plum pruned Reply with quote

Hi Inishuindie,

Here are a couple of guides to general pruning for plums......

"Established plum trees should be pruned in June and the pruning is restricted to new growth not bearing fruit this year. ......pinch out strong-growing side shoots (grown this year) to 6 leaves from their parent branch - this will encourage fruit next year."

http://www.gardenplansireland.com/forum/about1466.html

My miniature apple tree had the same problem and our very own Michael Brenock advised to prune the first 1 1/2 inches of vigorous shoots now ( 2-3 wks ago ), to encourage fruiting spurs in Sept/Oct......

Don't know if that helps any.

Hope you get an expert online to further advise.

artalis
Very Happy

John 3:16
michael brenock
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

June July pruning is recommended for plums especially for Victoria to prevent the spread of Silver leaf disease. Pruning a plum tree or any other fruit tree for that matter will not encourage fruiting and usually delays fruiting. pruning helps to shape the tree and helps in the long term for fruit production. if no fruit appears you should check the following, was there fruit buds on the tree or were they damaged by birds, As Victoria is self fertile you don't need to worry about a pollinator variety but the bees need to do the job and if the weather was inclement at time of blossom the little or no pollination takes place. Finally if severe cold frosty weather occurs after pollination the developing fruit is killed off by frost. If the tree is growing too vigorously it delays fruit production so feed with a balanced plant food containing Phosphates and Potassium.
Hope this helps and makes pruning easier or eliminates it.
michael brenock horticultural advisor (retired)
inishindie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice. Hopefully this time next year we should see some improvement...I'll get pruning and feeding....Then hopefully the crops will appear later....plan for the future..

I was just wondering...How do I prune it and do I need paint to seat the wounds?

Cheers

michael brenock
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cut off half to one third of this years growth, this month. If very little growth prune harder and very vigorous growth prune lightly. seal wound with either Medo or Arbrex or flat white undercoat.
Just back from Donegal.
michael brenock horticultural advisor (retired)
inishindie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Michael

Hope you enjoyed your Donegal visit.....Thanks for the tips

Ian

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: