Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irish Wildlife, Irish Wild flowers and nature gardening.

Lovely Wild Pant

Most Recent Posts Cleaaning polytunels/greenhouses.
Last post: tagwex
I'm new here
Hi, guy here trying to grow stuff in a tunnel
Introduce yoursellf to whom.......................

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
bigyin
Rank attained: Hazel Tree
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:34 am    Post subject: Lovely Wild Pant Reply with quote

What is the name for the rushes type plant with the orange coloured flower that grows wild in the country road sides.
I have for a few years now used this plant effectively around my pool and I would really like to know the name.
I have also seen the same plant in Co.Council arrangments but is a red flowered version, has it been cultivated or is the soil type the reason for the colour change.?
Sive
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you refer to Crocosmia ( formerly called montbretia ).....and the red version could be a well known one called Crocosmia "Lucifer"....which would be in flower right now.
By the way, I smiled at your heading......."Lovely Wild Pant"........ indeed !!!!
artalis
Rank attained: Silver Birch Tree
Rank attained: Silver Birch Tree

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 3:20 pm    Post subject: wild plant Reply with quote

Also comes in shades of yellow , orange and a bi-coloured variety. Bees love it and it doesn't need to be planted in a damp spot. It thrives in my front garden which is fairly dry near to the coast. It spreads easily and that is why it is commonly seen in the wild. It is an original native of South Africa and has naturalised here. " Lucifer," ( hot red )is very elegant. There are other varieties in shades of red too.

artalis Very Happy

John 3:16
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irish Wildlife, Irish Wild flowers and nature gardening. All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: