Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irish Weeds & Pests and Diseases of the garden.

Killing the weeds

Most Recent Posts At last! A garden joke. (except maybe it's not a joke!)
Last post: kindredspirit
funny
Last post: Sue Deacon
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Sue Deacon
oops
Last post: Margo

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
sirpsycho
Rank attained: Pedunculate oak tree

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 9:31 pm    Post subject: Killing the weeds Reply with quote

I was away for a while and when I came back in June my allotment was just overrun in weeds. I tackled as many as I could in the time I had but it's a hopeless battle. About 1/3 of my allotment is now covered. I dont know the type of weed, it's mostly the one type with a few docks here and there and the odd grass.

I need a few more beds to get some broccoli and brussels planted, as well as more turnips. However, I dont have a lot of spare time (babies...) to dig out all the weeds and make the beds. I am thinking strongly about spraying them.

I did search the forum already but some of the info I found is from a few years back so may not be relevant now.

What weedkiller to get? (I want to sow small plants as soon as possible afterwards).

How long will it take to kill the weeds?

How long will it be until I can plant in the ground again?

Thanks in advance for all the answers Smile
artalis
Rank attained: Silver Birch Tree

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 10:45 pm    Post subject: allotment chaos Reply with quote

Hi Sirpsycho,

Is that the allotments near Naul?

Hubby and I went for a spin on our motorbikes and stopped there to have a look.

Nice hillside aspect, but windy without protection I bet.

If the weeds are over running the veggies and everywhere else perhaps save what you can of your produce....and then start again, treating the whole area for weeds/seedlings before replanting.

Don't give up yet...there is more than one way to kill weeds.

artalis Smile

John 3:16
artalis

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 4:33 pm    Post subject: killing weeds Reply with quote

.....Some other ways to kill weeds sirpsycho and to kill weed seeds are;

(1) Chop down tall weeds ( a borrowed tractor might be handy ) or else rotovate the soil ( hire one for the day). Remove any cut weeds or roots with a steel rake. Solarise the soil, by covering the whole area in clear plastic sheeting ( firmly fix the sheeting in place and remove any sharp rocks or debris that will cause a hole )for at least six to eight weeks. This will heat up the soil killing some diseases etc and killing weeds.

(2) Cover the area in several layers of wet newspapers. Firmly fix down.When weeds are sprouting. They are deprived of light and will die after about 6-8wks.

(3) Plastic mulch left in place for at least two seasons should help kill persistent weeds.

or........

(2) Kill the weeds ( see points 1 and 2 for this ) and then cover the ground in geotextile fabric and then plant your veggies.

or.......

(3) Kill the weeds and then put down an organic mulch like bark, chippings or pebbles to help deter future weeds. Small weeds are easier to get and pull out when there is a mulch, but you've still got to put regular time into keeping the area weed free.....or else you are back to weeding chaos.

(5)Tagetes minuata is claimed to be effective against couch and ground elder. Comfrey can act as a barrier against weeds like couch.

(6) "Crop rotation: Rotating crops with ones that kill weeds by choking them out, such as hemp, Mucuna pruriens, and other crops, can be a very effective method of weed control. It is a way to avoid the use of herbicides, and to gain the benefits of crop rotation."

(7) Deal with the weeds by doing any of the above and then get some seed free soil delivered and construct raised beds ( with a mulch ie. geotextile, pebbles,bark etc between the old layer of soil that has been treated for weeds and the new seed free layer of soil. This will weaken weeds ) for your veggies. The contained raised bed areas should be alot easier to keep weed free, after that.

artalis Very Happy

John 3:16
walltoall
Rank attained: Orchard owner

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 5:56 pm    Post subject: kiling weeds Reply with quote

Firstly in self-defence I wish to iterate that a 'weed' is simply a plant in the wrong place. Having said that I can't admit to loving invasive plants like ground ivy and dock among others.

One of my gardening weapons is an old nail-varnish bottle complete with cap and brush. It was cleaned out a long time ago with varnish remover, special attention being given to the brush. I filled it with neat systemic weed-killer and when I have a weed that is annoying me I give [the weed] a little dab with the brush. This works particularly well on plants which develop deep roots or are rhisome based like scutch (couch?) grass. It may take a week or even a month but it will kill the plant thus treated.

For the learners among us, treat neat systemic weed-killer much like you would treat caustic soda or nitric acid. Systemic weed-killer should never ever be allowed to touch your skin and it's fumes should never be breathed in. It is deadly dangerous stuff capable of causing the development of cancerous cells in your body within sometimes weeks.

But in the right hands and used in the right way it is a boon to busy gardeners.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irish Weeds & Pests and Diseases of the garden. All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: