Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Garden Photo gallery & Plant Identification area

Is This a Laurel

Most Recent Posts christmas market.
Last post: Greengage
Planting trees in carparks.
Last post: Greengage
Brexit
Last post: Blowin
Garden Visits.
Last post: tagwex

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
summer
Rank attained: Silver Birch Tree

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 8:03 pm    Post subject: Is This a Laurel Reply with quote

Hi Guys. I planted a Laurel Hedge a couple of years ago, and one of the Plants (see Pics) has grown a lot taller, and it seems to have a bigger Leaf, and has yellow streaks through it. Could any one here, tell me if its a Laurel, or what type it is.?

DSCF2161 [].JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  107.18 KB
 Viewed:  10323 Time(s)

DSCF2161 [].JPG

DSCF2162 [].JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  128.33 KB
 Viewed:  10323 Time(s)

DSCF2162 [].JPG

cooler
Rank attained: Sessile Oak Tree
Rank attained: Sessile Oak Tree

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like a white poplar (tree) summer.
Silver surfer
Rank attained: Tree plantation keeper

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like Populus.
With the markings on some of leaves it look as if it may be Populus x jackii Aurora.

http://www.shootgardening.co.uk/plant/populus-x-jackii-aurora

The old name used to be Populus candicans Aurora.

http://www.google.co.uk/images?q=populus%20candicans%20aurora&rls=p,com.microsoft:en-gb:IE-SearchBox&oe=UTF-8&rlz=1I7SUNA_en-GB&redir_esc=&um=1&ie=UTF-8&source=og&sa=N&hl=en&tab=wi
summer

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Guys, so that's what it is ''Populus or Popular. Many that's for the reply's
inishindie
Rank attained: Tree plantation keeper

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 1:14 pm    Post subject: variegated Reply with quote

Hi

Your poplar looks like it might be one of the variegated type and is resorting the the naturalised state of one colour. If it is the non variegated branches can be removed...

I like the evening pics in the garden when it's dark...were you out catching slugs Smile

summer

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi inishindie, No, not ''catching Slugs,'' just was out and about, earlier that evening, and happened to have the Camera with me.
walltoall
Rank attained: Orchard owner

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 5:41 pm    Post subject: ringing the poplar laurel. Reply with quote

Summer

That poplar might have self-seeded. Poplar is very greedy and totally inappropriate in a laurel hedge. If it were mine, I'd crawl under the hedge to find the base of it's trunk and ring it. For other readers who haven't come across ringing, use a stanley knife to gently cut two rings about an inch apart right round the trunk of an unwanted tree when it is at prime growth (July August). Carefully peel away all the bark within the two rings without damaging the shaft underneath. The tree is now ringed. leave it there til next year and you find it is dead. Very drastic and very effective way of thinning woodland among other things. BTW, I love trees but have ringed many over the years.

summer

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi walltoall, i think i might let grow for a year, and see what it looks like, and if i am not happy with it, i will do as you say. (thanks for the tip, on how to get rid of it)
walltoall

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 5:52 pm    Post subject: poplars and laurels Reply with quote

Hi Summer
respec'

The White poplar and derivitives grow into handsome trees, not necessarily the nicest tree in the forest but characterful and sturdy. If you live in an area of high rainfall it'll grow for Ireland. Would you believe that such a tree can sweat off as much as 30,000 gallons a year, but much of it comes from the artesian system. It's roots are not particularly troublesome to underground pipes and things. And it gives terrific shade in high summer. Usually stems up well, so you get a tall trunk. Suckering is not a big issue and is easily controlled by cutting the suckers right back to the butt.

maigheomac
Rank attained: Hazel Tree
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 2:10 pm    Post subject: poplars and laurels Reply with quote

Personally, I think I would keep the Poplar and remove the laurel hedge Wink
Laurel is quite an invasive plant in itself, quite artificial/plastic looking, won't attract much birdlife/invertebrates and is poisonous to livestock.....

I recently acquired a sucker from beside a lake in Donegal and planted it in the corner of my garden. I thought it had died but has now produced some leaves before the winter time.
Prevailing wind hits the back left corner of my garden so I am planning to stick it there and due to its fast growing nature, I think it will do nicely.
My only concern was that the roots wouldn't damage my puraflow septic tank. But as this is 20 metres away I guess this is fine.

walltoall, interesting info about this tree, can I ask you a question as you seem quite knowedgeable about this tree, what would you estimate is a safeish planting distance for this type of tree's root system away from pipes,walls, etc? I have been trying to google it but haven't had much luck

Thanks!
walltoall

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 5:28 pm    Post subject: poplars v laurels Reply with quote

Dia dhuit a maigheomac,

As a general rule the roots of poplar type trees spread to about the same amount underground as the visible tree spreads overground. Lombardy is an exception. 20m from the septic tank is more than adaquate as only hair roots will get anywhere like that distance. The good news is that if the soakage area beyond the tank falls within the scope of a Poplar, the tree will remove massive amounts of water from the vicinity.

PS. I agree with your views on Laurel. It's up there with Rhododendron.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Garden Photo gallery & Plant Identification area All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: