Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Plant Propagation, increasing your stock of plants in Ireland.

Cuttings from Hydrangea

Most Recent Posts Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns
funny
Last post: Margo
At last! A garden joke. (except maybe it's not a joke!)
Last post: Ado 2
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Greengage

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
Martina
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 9:27 am    Post subject: Cuttings from Hydrangea Reply with quote

I am definetly a novice when it comes to gardening and especially taking cuttings. Sad Confused I am interested in taking cuttings from Hydrangeas. Can anyone give me advice how to do this and are there any other shrubs I can take cuttings from eg Fushia ect..Thank you Smile
Sive
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Martina....I'm not very successful with cuttings, but I discovered by chance that hydrangeas root happily in water. So, say you cut some to put in a vase, don't let them dry out, be too lazy to throw them out ( this is how I found out ! ) and suddenly you'll see lots of white roots growing. So a glass vase is the best so's you can watch progress !
mralgae
Rank attained: Hawthorn Tree

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hope its ok to show a link, if not sorry in advance.

but i was looking for the same thing my self last week and came across this.

http://www.hydrangeashydrangeas.com/propagation.html

Martina

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you both for your help, and I did just check in on the link, it looks good. I will check it out better later on as im at work now ..

Again thank you both Smile
dinahdabble
Rank attained: Rowan Tree
Rank attained: Rowan Tree

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fushia cuttings are very easy. Just snip off a few green shoots, each with about 4 leaves on but no flowers. Cut just below the bottom two leaves (one or two mm's) nip off the bottom two leaves and plant them in potting compost or gritty soil so that the cutting sticks up from about half way between where you nipped off the leaves (called a leaf node) and the remaining pair of leaves. You can put the pot in a plastic bag so that the cuttings don't dry out. Give them a bit of fresh air by opening the bag about twise a week. Keep them in a light place, but not in direct sunlight. The plants will root in a couple of weeks. When they have rooted the origional leaves often wither and drop off, but little ones will have sprouted in the joints between the leaves and the stems.

You probably won't need the plastic bag in this weather, but leaves drying out is the most common reason why cuttings fail. The second most common reason is rotting, and happens if you don't let enough air circulate. It is OK to put several cuttings in one pot, but watch out that non of your cuttings are starting to wilt and go mouldy. If they are, pull them out before the mould spreads to the others, and wash or remove the plastic bag to freshen up the remainder.
Martina

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your advice, I am going to try and raise some fushias, Ill let you know how I get on.....Again thanks a million Very Happy
laurenisme

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there sorry to but in here but I have a question about hydrangea's cuttings.

I took a cutting from a hydrangea plant about two summers ago, put it in a vase and it rooted perfectly for me. I then planted it in the ground in a good sunny position.

Last year and this year so far it is growing from the old stem that i originally took the cutting from. It flowered last year and i have since pruned the old flower head from the plant to allow for the new leaves to thrive, however they are still coming from this old stem.

My question is, is does the hydrangea bush only ever grow from this one stem or is there any way to encourage another stem from the roots or even to encourage another stem from the original old stem. Only one leaf at either side have come out so far and it did the same last year.

A photo would help to explain it a lot better but unfortunately i won't be at home until next week.

Thanks in advance,

Lauren
corco2000

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if you 'wound' the stem by cutting it and the piling/mounting up soil over the single wounded stem would you get new cutting?
Im only learning, but when it comes to propagation you have nothing to loose, you learn from experiment it suppose.
Greengage
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The lazy mans/womans way.
http://gardenofeaden.blogspot.com/2011/09/how-to-take-hydrangea-cuttings.html
honeybunny

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have the ultimate lazy sod's way of taking cutting...due to my inability to just chuck out any sort of prunings before first taking as many cuttings as possible and also not having the time or inclination to go faffing about with rooting powder, plastic bags ect, i now just use one big terracotta pot that every cutting just gets plonked into, a label stuck in beside it and....that it, done and dusted. every so often i'll check them over and chuck out any that look iffy, empty it all out and pot up all that have rooted...and so be rewarded for my outright lazyness Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Plant Propagation, increasing your stock of plants in Ireland. All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: