Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Super Simple Slightly Spicy Summer Squash

Most Recent Posts funny
Last post: tagwex
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: tagwex
At last! A garden joke. (except maybe it's not a joke!)
Last post: kindredspirit
oops
Last post: Margo

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
simonj
Rank attained: Pedunculate oak tree

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 2:28 am    Post subject: Super Simple Slightly Spicy Summer Squash Reply with quote

Ingredients:
3 small Squash, washed and chopped
1 onion
knob of butter
1 tsp Mild curry powder
1 tsp ground corriander
1 tsp honey
Salt & Pepper

Other than butternut pumpkin in Tagines I have never really cooked pumpkins or gourds in the past.

In a total impulse purchase I picked up some squash seeds from Lidl.

The packet was a real mixed bunch simply labeled Curcurbita Pepo, and I never expected them to do well - they have thrived to the extent they have needed to be severely cut back, curtailed and thinned.

At this stage the squash has gone amok among the other plants.

They are fruiting well and I picked a few that were about the size of big oranges.

They are actually meant more as ornamental gourds than for food according to the packet, but they are delicious.

The recipe I decided on was very adhoc, after glancing at some Southern US and Indian type recipes I had an idea of the balance of flavours I wanted.

First thing was simply to wash, chop and steam the squash picked, seeds and all (they were still quite immature)

After that it was a quick transfer to a pan.

I had already diced and softened a small onion in butter , and added fair dash of salt, some pepper, ground coriander and a spoon of mid curry powder.
To this I added the steamed squash and the honey

About 5 minutes in the pan, just enough to coat them - kinda like a warm salad idea - and they were a very mild, tasty and a sort of sweet/salt flavour with an aldente texture.
I think it would be ideal as a side dish with any basmati rice and naan bread dish.

It worked out very well, they were very tasty, if a little mild for my taste - perhaps a little lemon would give them more zing.
For a more Chinese type flavour I'm sure they would work well with a little sesame seed oil, fresh ginger and chili.
For a Mexican type dish, I'd go with fresh coriander, chili and garlic.

More tips and thoughts as always in the blog, link in signature

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Recipe drop All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: