Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland

Earwigs???

Most Recent Posts Anyone any thoughts on using wind screen protection?
Last post: mange tout
...What did you do Today...
Last post: Ado 2
Garden Visits.
Last post: tagwex
organic feed / nettles
Last post: Blowin

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
simonj
Rank attained: Pedunculate oak tree

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 4:06 pm    Post subject: Earwigs??? Reply with quote

Went away for a week, came back to my Garden, to find not only have the greyhound cabbage been decimated by caterpillars and perhaps slugs, but my broadbeans have been attacked by earwigs!!

I always thought they were harmless, but a lot of the pods are covered with smal black dots, and I found earwigs in two of the pods?

Because I have done most stuff in an organic way the weeds are out in force, so weather permitting thats tomorrows main job.

Apart from liquid derris and garlic spray, are there any other tips?

On the positive side the squash plants are coming up great and the first tomato and gherkin plants are shaping up - pray for sun

PeterEnglish
Rank attained: Hawthorn Tree
Rank attained: Hawthorn Tree

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never had earwig damage in beans before, but I've grown dahlias a few times, and the old-fashioned, newspaper-stuffed, upturned flowerpots on sticks always trapped plenty of earwigs every night.

I've also heard of fish oil traps, for example the following (from the University of California):

"Traps can easily be hidden near shrubbery and ground cover plantings, or against fences. A low-sided can, such as a cat food or tuna fish can, with 1/2-inch of oil in the bottom makes an excellent trap. Fish oil (e.g., tuna fish oil) is very attractive to earwigs or vegetable oil with a drop of bacon grease can be used. Dump captured earwigs and refill cans with oil. Other common types of traps are a rolled-up newspaper, corrugated cardboard, bamboo tube, or short piece of hose. Place these traps on the soil near plants just before dark and shake accumulated earwigs out into a pail of soapy water in the morning. Continue these procedures every day until you are no longer catching earwigs."

Then when you've got rid of the earwigs, you'll need a spud gun to get rid of all the neighbourhood cats hanging around the garden looking for the tuna...
michael brenock
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Earwigs are not the primary attackers of beans, they usually follow on where slugs have already damaged crops. Control slugs and the earwigs will go elsewhere. I agree with Peter English that dahlias are a great favourite for earwigs especially in moist weather. I shake them out when I see them.
michael brenock horticultural adviser (retired)
michael brenock
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Earwigs are not the primary attackers of beans, they usually follow on where slugs have already damaged crops. Control slugs and the earwigs will go elsewhere. I agree with Peter English that dahlias are a great favourite for earwigs especially in moist weather. I shake them out when I see them.
michael brenock horticultural adviser (retired)
simonj
Rank attained: Pedunculate oak tree

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PeterEnglish wrote:
Then when you've got rid of the earwigs, you'll need a spud gun to get rid of all the neighbourhood cats hanging around the garden looking for the tuna...

Well, I've already covered those little buggers as my biggest pests on the blog at length - three horrid little things who I hate to admit I quite like

Foxylock
Rank attained: Sessile Oak Tree
Rank attained: Sessile Oak Tree

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to add to Peter's excellent post on trapping, earwigs are also attracted to oatmeal whilst cats are not !! The tachinid fly is also a natural predator of the earwig and can be attracted by letting some herbs flower e.g. dill, parsley or sweet clover.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: