Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search
Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland

How to Grow Brussels Sprouts in Irelands Vegetable Gardens

Most Recent Posts funny
Last post: tagwex
Hydrangea colours
Last post: Ado 2
Gardens wrecked by Vandals.
Last post: Ado 2
Last post: Good guy
Eclipse - The Recessed Manhole Planter
James Kilkelly

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 11:50 am    Post subject: How to Grow Brussels Sprouts in Irelands Vegetable Gardens Reply with quote

How to Grow Brussels Sprouts!
By Terry Blackburn

Growing Brussels sprouts

Brussels sprouts are thought to have been first grown in Italy, though in modern times they were cultivated in large amounts in Belgium as early as 1587, hence the name.
When cooked, sprouts should be tender but firm, this way thy will retain the vitamins, over cooking also ruins the texture of this delicious vegetable.
They contain vitamins A and C; in fact sprouts contain twice the amount of vitamin C as an equal amount of cabbage, they also contain potassium.
They contain a wealth of anti-cancer compounds and another wonderful food, which is ideal for weight watchers, as they contain only 31 celeries per average serving.
They are one of the traditional vegetables served with the turkey during the Christmas feast.

The sprouts can only be grown satisfactorily in firm soil, where they can be given a good depth of manure and plenty of room to develop.

Photo / pic / image of Brussel Sprout Plants.

Soil Preparation

The soil must be prepared in the previous autumn, adding a spades depth of manure and compost at the rate of one and a half bucketfuls to the sq. yd.
Leave the soil rough for the winter frosts and winds to act upon it, then in the spring fork it over an inch or two deep, adding either fish manure at 4 oz. (120g) to the sq. yd.
Alternatively, you can use a mixture of two parts hoof and horn, one part sulphate of potash, four parts bone meal, at a rate of 4 oz. (120g) to the sq. yd. The plants are planted out in late May or early June.

Sow the seeds in a sheltered position in a seedbed during March or April, in drills not deeper than ½ in. (12mm) about 6 in. (15cm) apart.
Cover them with cloches to give them warmth and protection. As they grow begin to thin out to give them room to develop.

Need materials?
Irish home delivery.

Need materials?
UK home delivery.

Need materials?
US home delivery.

Begin to plant out when the seedlings are about 4 - 6 in. (10cm - 15cm) high in the position they are to mature in; continue until the middle of August.
It is a good idea to water them well the day before you intend to move them. The ground where they are to go must be firm and the plants well firmed in. Plant about 3 ft. (90cm) apart with their lowest leaves just above the soil level.
After they have been trans-planted they must be well watered. As they grow it might be necessary to stake them if there is high winds.
Of course you don't have to grow the seedlings yourself, most garden centres sell sections of sprout plants ready for planting.

Remove leaves when they turn yellow and gently remove any sprouts that are open.
It is better to cut off the sprouts, as they are ready with a knife rather than attempting to break them off as this could lead to tearing or their roots to be dislodged from the soil.
Start at the bottom of the plants and work up gradually. In the south the harvest may begin, as early as September but in the north it is likely to be October before any are ready to pick; the crop may continue through to the following spring.
The heads of the plant should not be removed until the end of February, for they protect the sprouts forming below and they manufacture sap, which will feed them.

When the plants are finished fruiting, pull them up and put them onto the compost heap; do not leave them on the ground, as they will take up valuable nutrients.

Terry Blackburn. Internet Marketing Consultant, living in South Shields in the North-East of England. Author and Producer of blog Author of "Your Perfect Lawn," a 90 Page eBook devoted to Lawn Preparation, Lawn Care and Maintenance. Find it at

Gardening books. Ireland's allotments.
On Twitter...

Garden Consultation & Design.

Try my Garden Design home study course!
sunnymount farm
Rank attained: Hazel Tree
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 4:21 pm    Post subject: advise with growing brassicas Reply with quote

Hi James
I had a read through the information about growing cauliflower, broccoli, savoy cabbage, and brussel sprouts. It's a fantastic guidance and I would have done things differently if I had of read it eariler.
At the weekend I planted out rows of the 4 veg above into drills which had potatoes last years. The veg plants are all between 6 - 8 inches tall. I haven't fertilized the ground with anything yet but I was going to follow the guides and give top dressing of fish manure, dried blood etc. Would you advise this action or do you have any other advise on how I should care for the plants over the next number of months. I have also covered the vegs with eco mesh - great job. Any help much appreciated.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: