Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Garden planning, prep and landscape design in Ireland

Ideas for a long painted wall?

Most Recent Posts 2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Greengage
At last! A garden joke. (except maybe it's not a joke!)
Last post: Sue Deacon
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns
funny
Last post: tagwex

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
missy
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 10:58 am    Post subject: Ideas for a long painted wall? Reply with quote

I have a long narrow urban garden most of the walls have trellis or some bamboo fencing on them. However, there is a long part of the wall from the side gate to start of the garden that is bare it was a horrible slate grey colour so I painted it magnolia to brighten it up but it just looks like a long boring wall I dont want to put any more trelis on it. Has anyone any tips, ideas for something waterproof I could stick or hang to wall I thought of mosaic but the wall is a bit uneven and I dont think they would stick on properly and mightened be frost proof
Its a long narrow boring magnolia brick wall at the moment
mralgae
Rank attained: Hawthorn Tree
Rank attained: Hawthorn Tree

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi missy, i had 3 walls like you had when we moved to our new place back in feb this yr and like you we painted it with the famous magnolia LOL. any way is there any soil under the wall, i mean that you can plant flowers etc and not actually under the wall.....Smile
if you dont want more trellis have you thought about some hanging baskets?

michael brenock
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

worth trying Jasmines, Cotoneasters, Wisteria, Eccremocarpus, Lathyrus (perennial Sweet pea), Loniceras and and clumps of perennials at intervals so as to break the continuity of the wall.
michael brenock horticultural advisor (retired)
missy

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately theres no soil under the wall just the footpath I might try getting those long troughs and plant some evergreen climber in it the pathway is a little narrow so dont want them too wide and blocking the pathway.
I saw a lovely idea one day in a restaurant small concrete squares painted different bright colours with designs they would be lovely put here and there along the wall but dont know where I could get concrete square blocks. Would like some wall art for something trendy and different but dont know where I could get water/frost and rust proof materials.
If I get a chance will put up some links so you have a better idea of the wall. If I was putting up plants my ideal is something hardy perennial and evergreen. I have two hanging baskets on the wall further down and not a huge fan of too many tbh.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Garden planning, prep and landscape design in Ireland All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: