Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irish Weeds & Pests and Diseases of the garden.

Cat!

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Most Recent Posts Christmas reading.
Last post: Greengage
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Greengage
At last! A garden joke. (except maybe it's not a joke!)
Last post: Sue Deacon
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
Nozebleed
Rank attained: Vegetable garden tender

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 3:05 pm    Post subject: Cat! Reply with quote

There's a damn cat after having a poo on my veg plot twice this week. i have a lot of cats around my garden everyday. just wondering what is the best way to keep them out of the veg spot? thanks
artalis
Rank attained: Silver Birch Tree

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 8:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Cat! Reply with quote

Nozebleed wrote:
There's a damn cat after having a poo on my veg plot twice this week. i have a lot of cats around my garden everyday. just wondering what is the best way to keep them out of the veg spot? thanks

My sympathies! They have been wreaking havoc amongst my ornamental grasses for 5 yrs. They have killed off a number of fescues and carex comans and don't mind crushing emerging bulbs.

Heard that strategically placed lion dung keeps them out. Visit the zoo or pet shop for details?

A handy dog patrolling the area ( one that is trained to pooh in the right spot away from veg and plants etc) works wonders.

There is a cat repelling plant available, " coleus canina, " but I haven't tried it myself. Lavender and rue ar also sometimes mentioned as cat repellants. All the same, I have lavender in my garden and still have at least a dozen regular cat visitors

A wire security barrier along the top of a wall or fence, with an inward sloping overhang may help stop entry.

The only plus I can see with cats is that they help deter mice/rats.

Smile
artalis
Nozebleed

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the reply. I went to my local hardware and bought some cat repellant in gel form..i laid it down around the veg plot and mushed a fair bit on the railway sleepers that surround the area..10 minutes later i see a cat walking over to the area without hesitation he walks on the gel no bother to him at all...doesn't even stop to sniff the stuff!!
I think chicken wire has to be bought!
artalis

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 9:13 am    Post subject: cat repellant Reply with quote

Nozebleed wrote:
thanks for the reply. I went to my local hardware and bought some cat repellant in gel form..i laid it down around the veg plot and mushed a fair bit on the railway sleepers that surround the area..10 minutes later i see a cat walking over to the area without hesitation he walks on the gel no bother to him at all...doesn't even stop to sniff the stuff!!
I think chicken wire has to be bought!

I tried the gel too, useless stuff...and after it rains it loses the smell anyway.
Read that cats don't like to walk on chickenwire, so if starting from scratch it can be laid as a mulch, with new plants growing through.

Your chickenwire barrier low fence should be the business.

Smile artalis
James Kilkelly

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 9:51 am    Post subject: Re: Cat! Reply with quote

Quote:

I don't mind the cats, but the poo I can do without.
Further reading should be the article..... Cat Repellent/Deterrant, How to Keep Cats Out of Your Garden

http://www.allotments.ie/ Ireland's allotments.
On Twitter... http://twitter.com/Allotments

Garden Consultation & Design.

Try my Garden Design home study course!
blondie
Rank attained: Hazel Tree
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually have a cat,however there is one area I did not want the cat to interfere with so I planted some RUE ,that was months ago April to be percise and have had no problem to date.At the same time I planted a section of garden that I wasnt too fussed about in catnip,the cat loves it and so far so good.I have had no problems from my or anyone elses cat going near my no go area....Anyone trying this method I wish you all the success that I have..
PeterEnglish
Rank attained: Hawthorn Tree

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As the owner of five cats, the only 100% guarantee is the "barrier method" - twiggy sticks, netting, chicken wire, cloches, etc. With my own cats, I always have a few sheltered patches of well-dug, dry soil which the cats have been trained to use from kitten-hood. Kittens can be house-and-garden-trained just as easily as puppies.

But when the problem is somebody else's smelly old tom cat from down the road, then that cat will use his poop as a territorial marker, just the same as he'll squirt his noxious glandular business everywhere. According to Desmond Morris, they will even advertise their status by pooping where it's clearly visible and most prominent.

There's one particular tom saunters into my front garden every few days to leave me a reminder that he's The Boss, so if I'm planting seedlings or bedding, I plant a couple of packets of those cheap wooden kebab skewers around them and fill any additional space with twigs and prunings till my plants are established.
artalis

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 8:37 am    Post subject: cat attack Reply with quote

Seems ironic, I built a raised bed with railway sleepers earlier in the summer and it has become the neighbour's cats favourite perch. That means my grasses and bulbs might now be deemed safe from cat attacks.

artalis Very Happy

cat2.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  42.81 KB
 Viewed:  18001 Time(s)

cat2.jpg

cat 1.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  56.07 KB
 Viewed:  18001 Time(s)

cat 1.jpg

John 3:16
easyram

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Would enybody know where in Ireland I can get any of the plants like Coleus canina or Ruta graveolens or any other for cats?

Thank you
e
Nozebleed

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

out of curiosity...what do you guy's do with the cat poo? i've given up trying to stop the cats entering the garden..i've started collecting the poo and covering it with soil it in a particular corner of the garden. not sure if this is a good idea long term.
Maeve Drogheda
Rank attained: Sessile Oak Tree

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Nozebleed,

You may get a laugh out of the following but cat lovers won't, In the early hours of this morning I was awoken to loud crying and whimpering outside my window, when I went to investigate, it was a cat who was caught on my netting that was covering my raised veggie beds, and its claws got caught, so he couldn't move. I did rescue him, but he was not pleased!!

Don't think he will be back!!
Maeve Drogheda

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This angry cat was chased up there by my little dog. He does not look too happy!!!!
Nozebleed

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow..he's pretty angry. just read your previous post..fair play for rescuing him from your netting..i would have left him to be honest..let him learn the hard way! i cant stand them..
easyram

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just heard on Newstalk that keeping some fresh orange peels on your beds will keep cats and dogs away. Apparently they don't like the smell but Coleus canina would work the same way, wouldn't it? And you have to put fresh peel several times a week... But for an instant effect maybe it's worth trying?
easyram

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And what about that?
http://www.garden4less.co.uk/silent-roar.asp
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irish Weeds & Pests and Diseases of the garden. All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: