Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland

Rhubarb advice - With Pics

Most Recent Posts Christmas reading.
Last post: Greengage
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Greengage
At last! A garden joke. (except maybe it's not a joke!)
Last post: Sue Deacon
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
Charles_Dimmock
Rank attained: Hawthorn Tree

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 6:33 pm    Post subject: Rhubarb advice - With Pics Reply with quote

Guys, I got a young rhubarb plant a few weeks back & I know i'm not supposed to pick too much in the first 12 months but I need advice on how to manage it.

My fathers grown it for years now but i'm in Ireland and he's in good auld Barnsley.

I have it in a pot for the moment as we're in the process of looking for a new house.

Ive attached pics below, any advice?

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
michael brenock
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That looks a marvellous young rhubarb plant, one of the best I have ever seen. Keep it in the pot until the Autumn and then either plant it into a permanent home in the ground or re-pot it into a larger pot with least disturbance to the roots and grow on for another year
michael brenock horticultural advisor (retired)
Charles_Dimmock

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Michael, Doesn't need much care at all, my dad told me to drown it every now and again as they thrive on water so I occassionally just water quite heavily & thats all.
inishindie
Rank attained: Tree plantation keeper

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 2:43 pm    Post subject: insecticide Reply with quote

Rhubarb Spray

Those leaves will be great for home made insecticides. There are lots of beneficial insects in the garden but occasionally you might need to make something strong to kill off an infestation.... When your settled and the plants have matured here's what to do......

Simmer one kilo of rhubarb leaves in a covered pot for 30 minutes. Do not use an aluminium pot. When cool, mix with a little pure soap, enough to keep a permanent lather, this will work in the same way as soap that kills off greenfly, breaking down the protective layers of the insect in the sunshine. The use of rainwater will increase the effectiveness as some salts present in mains water can reduce the strength of the oxalic acid content. Alternatively just plonk them in a bucket and let them rot down.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: