Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irish Trees & other trees grown in Ireland

Is a Hornbeam hedge suitable for a coastal garden?

Most Recent Posts funny
Last post: Margo
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns
At last! A garden joke. (except maybe it's not a joke!)
Last post: Ado 2
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Greengage

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
Arthur Two Sheds Jackson
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 9:30 pm    Post subject: Is a Hornbeam hedge suitable for a coastal garden? Reply with quote

Is a Hornbeam hedge suitable for a coastal garden? we are very buffeted with strong winds from the ocean from all sides nearly all year long!

Carpinus__Hornbeam_Hedge.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  10.14 KB
 Viewed:  18285 Time(s)

Carpinus__Hornbeam_Hedge.JPG

0027023.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  81.46 KB
 Viewed:  18285 Time(s)

0027023.jpg

This shed business -- it doesn't really matter. The sheds aren't important. A few friends call me Two Sheds and that's all there is to it. I wish you'd ask me about the music. Everybody talks about the sheds. They've got it out of proportion -- I'm a composer. I'm going to get rid of the shed. I'm fed up with it!
artalis
Rank attained: Silver Birch Tree

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:17 pm    Post subject: coastal hedge Reply with quote

Hi Arthur Two Sheds Jackson,

See this link at "Ashridge Trees," for a number of recommended options for coastal hedging>

http://www.ashridgetrees.co.uk/SHOPPING-CATEGORIES/Coastal-Hedging

also check here>

http://www.barrysgardencentre.ie/whatwesell.html#hedges

Smile
artalis

Trees online advjses against hornbeam by the coast but don't say why.
See here>

http://www.trees-online.co.uk/hornbeam-hedging-carpinus-betulus-2040cm-trees-free-mainland-delivery-except-scottish-highlands-p-303.html
michael brenock
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hornbeam is not an ideal seaside tree, it will survive for many years but when an early Spring gale from the sea catches it then it will be badly damaged and takes years to recover. It will survive there but it will not thrive.
michael brenock horticultural advisor (retired)
Arthur Two Sheds Jackson

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 1:17 pm    Post subject: Tamarisk? Reply with quote

Thanks for advice,
would Tamerisk be a viable alternative? is it fast growing?

http://www.ashridgetrees.co.uk/Tamarisk-Tamarix-tetranda

This shed business -- it doesn't really matter. The sheds aren't important. A few friends call me Two Sheds and that's all there is to it. I wish you'd ask me about the music. Everybody talks about the sheds. They've got it out of proportion -- I'm a composer. I'm going to get rid of the shed. I'm fed up with it!
artalis

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 2:19 pm    Post subject: hedge by coast Reply with quote

Hi Two Sheds,

Tamarisk is good for close plantings by the sea and makes a good first barrier windbreak, is a bit messy looking in winter. Also works well when planted alongside other salt tolerant hedging plants for variety and visual interest. It is a fast growing deciduous ( not evergreen ) tree or shrub.

See this Irish website for more info/options on suitable coastal plants>

http://www.dyg.ie/plants/105?page=1

Interesting to know that, thanks Michael as I live close by the sea myself ( about 4-500 metres as the crow flies ). My front garden is exposed on three sides but my back garden is walled. Some fairly fierce winds can rip through,( both gardens actually ) but owing to the small size of my front garden I have opted to leave it open. It is planted with alpines, lavender, lacecap hygrangea, phormium, hebe, dwarf spring flowering bulbs, some taller summer bulbs ( close to the house wall for protection ) and ornamental grasses. They work well.

I recently ( over a year ago ) I planted a white barked birch tree in the exposed front garden and it has coped very well with storms ( It is well staked ). Some advantages to being by the coast are that more tender plants can do well there.

I even have a washingtonia robusta in the front ( Mexican fan palm )and it coped very well with last year's severe frosts. It is however deeply mulched and somewhat protected by fierce winds on one side as it is situated close to a large phormium.

There is still a wide range of plants available including suitable hedging for coastal gardens, as you can see from the links in this thread. Mediterranean plants and those with small thick leaves or silvery foliage often do well as they are naturally suited to a drier environment. A thick ground mulch helps to prevent moisture loss when establishing new plants.

Hope that you are happy with your final choice Two Sheds.

artalis Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irish Trees & other trees grown in Ireland All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: