Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Easy Peasy Mackerel and orange

Most Recent Posts oops
Last post: kindredspirit
funny
Last post: kindredspirit
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Margo
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
simonj
Rank attained: Pedunculate oak tree

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 3:09 pm    Post subject: Easy Peasy Mackerel and orange Reply with quote

There are several recipies that do mackerel with fruits like cranberry, apple, goosebury, rhubarb etc.

I think the idea is that the acid in the fruit can cut through the oils in the fish.
I realy like the idea of having the peas with the orange zing on the plate, but apart from the fish seemed like a good idea.

I feel there is a real automatic temptation to reach for the spuds when we do fish, but just to be a little different I went with a fresh risotto with broad beans from the garden. The recipe for that is also on the blog, connemaracroft.blogspot.com - link in signature as usual.
There are so many cuisines that do rice and fish, Indonesia, China, Spain with their paella and others.

4 fillets from a large mackerel, weighing about 100-120g each, or 8 smaller ones
1tbsp flour for dusting
1tbsp olive oil
100g butter
2 large shallots, peeled, halved and finely chopped
The grated zest and juice of one orange
100ml veg stock
120-150g shelled weight of peas, cooked
Salt and freshly ground black pepper

Heat half the butter in a pan and gently cook the shallots for a couple of minutes until soft, add the orange zest and juice, fish stock and peas, season and simmer for 2-3 minutes,

Stir in the rest of the butter until emulsified and remove from the heat.

Heat the olive oil in a heavy or non-stick frying pan.
Lightly flour the mackerel on the skin side and season.
Fry the fillets skin-side down, first for 2-3 minutes until the skin is crisp, then turn them and cook for a couple of minutes on the other side.
Spoon the peas on to serving plates; lay the fillets on top.

Served with a broadbean risotto - see http://connemaracroft.blogspot.com/2010/07/mackerel-and-oranged-peas-served-with.html for further detais on this

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Recipe drop All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: