Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland

Tomato BRANCH curling?

Most Recent Posts 2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Greengage
At last! A garden joke. (except maybe it's not a joke!)
Last post: Sue Deacon
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns
funny
Last post: tagwex

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
lisasayers
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 4:44 pm    Post subject: Tomato BRANCH curling? Reply with quote

I've read a lot about the leaves on tomato plants curling but it's the branches on my plants that are curling up like a pigs tail.

2 weeks ago there was blackish mottling or spotting on the leaves of some of the plants. I pulled these leaves off and disposed of them well away from the plants. Didn't know what else to do with them. Thought it might be blight but not sure.

Now a few of the lower branches have started growing down towards the ground and more branches are curling up. I'm presuming this is probably not a good sign. Flowers are starting to appear now too and I'm afraid they'll all come to nothing! I have maybe 15-20 plants.

Most of them are outside by the way except for 3 that I brought in about a month ago into my front porch. Even the ones inside are beginning to curl.

I'm new to growing veg by the way so all info is useful to me!

I over watered them too for a while until I was told not to and I was just about to start feeding them tomato food but want to know what this curling is first.

I'll try to add a photo too... if I can find my camera.
michael brenock
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

one of the causes of severe curling of tomato stems and leaves is contamination by hormone type weedkillers (eg MCPA or 24D) usually used in lawns or corn or grassland. Unlikely that virus would attack all plants at the same time. a picture would be helpful.
michael brenock horticultural advisor (etired)
lisasayers

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

michael brenock wrote:
one of the causes of severe curling of tomato stems and leaves is contamination by hormone type weedkillers (eg MCPA or 24D) usually used in lawns or corn or grassland. Unlikely that virus would attack all plants at the same time. a picture would be helpful.
michael brenock horticultural advisor (etired)

Thanks for the reply Micheal. I went out to take some photos and noticed something that suggests that you may be right about the hormones. The buckets I have them planted in are all lamb and calf feed buckets...with hormones in... and I didn't pay too much attention to cleaning them! The only thing is that the 'branch' curl only happened recently and quite suddenly. Also the person that gave them to be says that they've been washed out plenty of times since and used for other stuff.

I also noticed that there are still a few leaves on some of the plants with black on them and some of the leaves are curling too. AAgh, am I going to lose all my tomato plants?! Is there anything I can do with them?

Here are the photos anyway...

IMG_0763.JPG
 Description:
Lower branches growing downwards and top ones curling up tight.
 Filesize:  100.91 KB
 Viewed:  10544 Time(s)

IMG_0763.JPG

IMG_0764.JPG
 Description:
Black spots, leaf curl and a yellow spot on the tip too
 Filesize:  32.04 KB

IMG_0764.JPG

IMG_0768.JPG
 Description:
Lower branches growing downwards and top ones curling up tight. NOTE the Nutribio bucket
 Filesize:  44.19 KB

IMG_0768.JPG

IMG_0772.JPG
 Description:
Lower branches growing downwards
 Filesize:  51.53 KB

IMG_0772.JPG

IMG_0776.JPG
 Description:
Curling like a pigs tail
 Filesize:  34.5 KB

IMG_0776.JPG

IMG_0774.JPG
 Description:
Plants in the porch
 Filesize:  46.79 KB

IMG_0774.JPG

IMG_0775.JPG
 Description:
Plants in the front porch
 Filesize:  42.05 KB
 Viewed:  10537 Time(s)

IMG_0775.JPG

walltoall
Rank attained: Orchard owner

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 11:02 pm    Post subject: buckets of tomatoes Reply with quote

Lisasayers

Ml. Brenock always knows what he's talking about so listen to him. I just want to add tupppence worth. Firstly I see signs of flowers appearing which is good. 2nd the leaves are very dark. Is it possible you are using buckets with no holes in the bottom and the plants are waterlogged? If this is possible, I'd upend one bucket just to check the bottom is not sopping. 3rd Are these plants getting the absolute maximum of sunlight? thay look like they may be short on the rays of the sun. 4th I hope you have not fed them with loads of Nitrognous fertilizer? You may be killing these chaps with kindness too.

Last edited by walltoall on Tue Jul 06, 2010 10:28 am; edited 2 times in total
lisasayers

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ Walltoall

I know M.B. knows his stuff, I have his book! Smile I had my doubts about the hormones though initially as there hadn't been anything sprayed near the tomato plants but then spotted the buckets. I shouldn't have doubted!

Well spotted with the water logging by the way. I had forgotten to put holes into the buckets but I've them drilled now with about 2 weeks. Is it enough to just do that and then not water for a while? (raining as I type this though)

They are getting as much sun as possible; south facing garage wall and it's a pretty good spot.

I haven't fed them with ANYthing yet. The only thing I did add was a hand full of blood and bone meal when I was re potting them first, ages ago, nothing since. I was going to start giving them some tomato feed now. The one I have is Nitrogen 1.3%, Phosphorus Pentoxide 0.87%, Potassium Oxide 2.6%, Magnesium Oxide 0.06%. Bought in my local €2 shop though so maybe not so good?!
michael brenock
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

picture 0776 is definitely not hormonal but more like curling due to high salt concentration due to lack of drainage. This will correct itself as more water is added. I certainly missed out on this from the description you gave. Not all hormones will cause damage to tomatoes but mostly hormone type weedkillers, animal growth hormones as far as I know are not harmful to plantsa. Well spotted walltoall about drainage and accumulation of Nitrogenous feed.The tomatoes should grow out of this in about a week. I don't know all the answers, I am always learning.
michael brenock horticultural advisor (retired)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: