Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Introduce yourself to the rest of the Irish gardeners

Hi from Balbriggan

Most Recent Posts funny
Last post: Sue Deacon
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns
At last! A garden joke. (except maybe it's not a joke!)
Last post: Ado 2
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Greengage

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
artalis
Rank attained: Silver Birch Tree

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 11:18 am    Post subject: Hi from Balbriggan Reply with quote

Very Happy
Hi all and glad to be here.

My name is Alison and I have a small town garden, located about 400 metres from the Irish sea in Balbriggan, with attractive sea and castle views. It is a in a new house, so the garden was a blank canvas, when I arrived, except for some patchy grass and builder's debris. The location and size of the garden has been a challenge that I have enjoyed approaching.

The first thing I did, when I moved in was to was plant an Alison Blackman phormium in the very exposed front garden before I had a penny for furniture or carpets etc. 5 years on my love affair with the garden has continued, and although the garden is small in size, it is my seaside oasis. The phormium is about 9ft tall now and still growing, he he. but is now transplanted in the back garden...yet that is another story.

I hope to have a good time chatting here with other garden enthusiasts...sharing garden pleasures and challenges....

I have only been gardening for 5 yrs so have alot to learn, but I do my own digging, design and planting. I would like to expand my experience and knowledge to other areas, like grafting and propagation as I find the time and resources. So I hope to get posting soon and look forward to chatting here with you Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Alison alias artalis

venus thumbnail.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  8.36 KB
 Viewed:  2741 Time(s)

venus thumbnail.jpg

Last edited by artalis on Tue Jul 27, 2010 10:00 pm; edited 2 times in total
walltoall
Rank attained: Orchard owner

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 1:12 pm    Post subject: Let's hear it for Balbriggan Reply with quote

Hi Alison
If I'm right Frank Carson may still be the Mayor of your adopted Balbriggan where I spent many happy days. You are technically a Fingallian now (as I was growing up in Lusk and going to school in Skerries, the sisters went to Loreto) and you are hugely welcome to this motley crew. Hang around. This site is a gardeners "alladin's cave" and get used to using the self-contained google facility which searches the site itself. It's only moighty. What I'd give to be cycling the Black Hills and trying to climb Barnageeragh to the Ardgillan entrance. Give the Lady Stair a wave for me as you pass under it by treain bus car or bike. have you ever followed the steps down to the shore there?
SW

Sive
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Alison, welcome to the forum, it sounds like you will have lots of advice to dispense to us all....lovely part of the world you are in too.
artalis

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 6:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Let's hear it for Balbriggan Reply with quote

walltoall wrote:
Hi Alison
If I'm right Frank Carson may still be the Mayor of your adopted Balbriggan where I spent many happy days. You are technically a Fingallian now (as I was growing up in Lusk and going to school in Skerries, the sisters went to Loreto) and you are hugely welcome to this motley crew. Hang around. This site is a gardeners "alladin's cave" and get used to using the self-contained google facility which searches the site itself. It's only moighty. What I'd give to be cycling the Black Hills and trying to climb Barnageeragh to the Ardgillan entrance. Give the Lady Stair a wave for me as you pass under it by treain bus car or bike. have you ever followed the steps down to the shore there?
SW
Hi, and tanx for your welcome.
Hi walltoal,
Yep, I have wondered the coastal route along with my lovely dog, "Jewel," who is a retired greyhound, to the beach by Lady's stairs. It's a fair walk from the house mind, but the beach there has it's own charming reward. It is so secluded, except for a horse rider sometimes. Ardgillan is as gorgeous as ever.
Most probably Fingal, practically Meath but still call it Dublin, ha ha....for all that.
The Skerries races are on tomorrow, so hubby and I will probably ride our motorbikes over and take a trip along the very windy coastal roads that take us there.......but I don't think Frankie baby will be there.

Looking forward to getting to know you Cool
Alison

p.s. Just added a view of Balbriggan lighthouse taken recently.

lighthouse small.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  27.78 KB
 Viewed:  2738 Time(s)

lighthouse small.jpg

Last edited by artalis on Wed Jul 07, 2010 7:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
artalis

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sive wrote:
Hi Alison, welcome to the forum, it sounds like you will have lots of advice to dispense to us all....lovely part of the world you are in too.

Hi Sive and thanks for the welcome.

Just sitting, enjoying a cuppa and biscuit, next to my blooming balcony petunias, three floors up. There is a light breeze, it is a quiet eve. by the coast and it is lovely.

Will be looking for advice more than likely. The little I know has been gleaned from hands on experience in my own back yard. Even so I will be happy to share anything of interest.

hope to chat again here on the forum,
artalis ( Alison)
Cool
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Introduce yourself to the rest of the Irish gardeners All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: