Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Garden Photo gallery & Plant Identification area

Nasty Nasty Weed

Most Recent Posts Anyone any thoughts on using wind screen protection?
Last post: tippben
...What did you do Today...
Last post: Ado 2
Garden Visits.
Last post: tagwex
organic feed / nettles
Last post: Blowin

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
paul hanrahan
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 12:04 pm    Post subject: Nasty Nasty Weed Reply with quote

Can some pls help me identify this nasty weed (see attached photo) which has sprung up in my garden & attacked my tarmac drive!

Thanks in advance, Paul.

P1070859-1.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  47.96 KB
 Viewed:  5139 Time(s)

P1070859-1.JPG

JennyS
Rank attained: Rowan Tree
Rank attained: Rowan Tree

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't give an indication of leaf size, but it could be Colt's-foot, Tussilago farfara:

http://www.irishwildflowers.ie/pages/42a.html

walltoall
Rank attained: Orchard owner

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:36 pm    Post subject: coltsfoot Reply with quote

I'd agree with Jenny. Used to harvest it to make a cough medicine many years ago in Clare. The grey leaves are the give away. They should be about the size of your hand (don't count your fingers). If you want to get rid of it spray with a weedkiller containing 24D which has been around for 60 years and is excellent for broadleafed plants. Use carefully and sparingly. Found a site for you too lol

http://lawncare.about.com/b/2009/02/20/popular-herbicide-24-d-faces-scrutiny-and-possible-ban.htm

paul hanrahan

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:23 am    Post subject: Nasty Nasty Weed Reply with quote

Thanks Guys - much appreciated.

I had searched everywhere for an "id" - so you guys are definitely the tops.

It's a real shame to kill such a useful plant but needs must (or I'll have no drive!).

Have attached a photo showing the leaf size. This is one of the largest leaves most are from 2 to 4 inches.

All the best, Paul.

P1070873.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  52.98 KB
 Viewed:  5074 Time(s)

P1070873.JPG

walltoall
Rank attained: Orchard owner

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:53 pm    Post subject: nasty nasty weed Reply with quote

Paul,
A man's got to do what a man's got to do and a weed is a weed is a plant in the wrong place. So get the 2.4.D and in a month it'll have died off. Thanks for the compliments which are correctly due to James for setting up this forum, though I'm sure Jenny and meseff can bask in the reflection. It's easily the best gardeing site in the British Isles, but then it would be. it's Irish. Stick around. Stay posting. There are some extraordinary people on this forum and everybody works so well together.

While I'm on anyway, the google search facility on this forum can produce some of the most interesting returns you'll find as an amateur gardener on the net. Let's all mithael away to our mutual advantages or as Breezyacre from beyant in Drawda would say "Is ar scáth a chéile a mairimid"
Shaun

michael brenock
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the weed in the first picture is definitely Coltsfoot Tussilago farfarra. The second picture however is of a similar weed called Winter Heliotrope (Petasites fragrans), small lilac/pinkish white perfumed flowers in Winter. This is far more persistent than Coltsfoot and much more invasive. The edges of the leaves are very finely toothed.
michael brenock horticultural advisor (retired)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Garden Photo gallery & Plant Identification area All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: