Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland

Christmas came early... I've got me an allotmet - what now??

Most Recent Posts funny
Last post: kindredspirit
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns
At last! A garden joke. (except maybe it's not a joke!)
Last post: Ado 2
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Greengage

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
coolaboola
Rank attained: Hawthorn Tree

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 9:38 am    Post subject: Christmas came early... I've got me an allotmet - what now?? Reply with quote

I'm so very excited! I've got an allotment (lease to be signed in the next week or so) just 10 mins walk from my house.

The allotments have just been set up and haven't been used as allotments before. I haven't actually seen my plot yet (the plots haven't been assigned to their new tenants yet) but I think it is/was until recently under grass.

So what should I do once I get my mitts on my new plot?

Of course I'm keen to get growing but know it's shockin' late in the growning season to be getting started. Is there anything I could get growning now (beans? carrots?) Or should I focus my energy on preparing my site for Autumn planting (what can I plant in Autumn? Cabbage? Onions? Garlic?)?

What about any tips on laying out my plot (it's 8 x 10 m - not sure of orientation yet)? How many beds? How big? What else should I include - compost bin? Space for a little polytunnel or plastic greenhouse (if they're allowed)? Or helpful permanent plants I should be considering planting e.g. comfrey?

I'm interested in growing food crops and helper crops e.g. those that attract pollinators and incorporating companion planting and crop rotation into my plans.

Can't wait to get started and making use of any pearls of wisdom you have to offer Smile
Sive
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations ! Lots of hard work and fun ahead for you, good luck !
michael brenock
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

still time to sow lettuce, Spring onions, white turnips swedes. transplant broccoli. cauliflower, cabbages, savoys, kale. Sow seeds of Spring cabbage in July. Establish size and layouts of beds, paths and area for compost heap. dig out any perennial weeds present. As a guide rows and drills should run North/South. make four plots of the allotment all equal size.
michael brenock horticultural advisor (retired)
simonj
Rank attained: Pedunculate oak tree

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just as Michael says, dudes advice as always is great.

The only thing I'd add from what I learned this year is start trapping wireworms now, the sooner you get started, the less to worry about next year - this is definatley th case in a fresh grassy plot

Either make a trap or go for a raw spud on a stick

Enjoy the allotment, hope it gives you much joy

coolaboola

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks so much for your responses folks! Looking forward to getting stuck in soon. And very glad to read that there are plenty of plants (and pitfalls) for me to get stuck into once I get my mucky mitts on my allotment.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: