Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland

Tomato leaf curling?

Most Recent Posts Christmas reading.
Last post: Greengage
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Greengage
At last! A garden joke. (except maybe it's not a joke!)
Last post: Sue Deacon
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
Organicgrowingpains
Rank attained: Silver Birch Tree

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 10:47 pm    Post subject: Tomato leaf curling? Reply with quote

Hi, I'm back! After months of not being able to access Irish Gardeners due to password problems it has finally relented and allowed me to sign in, Yippee! I was getting withdrawal symptoms just guest browsing.
Our problem among many this year is the leaves have started curling on our tomato plants in the greenhouse.There is slight mottling of the leaves and the bottom leaves are curling inwards.It had only affected one plant up to now but today all of them have it?? Help Confused Confused Confused

michael brenock
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mottling of lower leaves points to magnesium deficiency. The curling of the leaf indicates that temperatures are running too high. ventilate as much as possible and leave vents open at night. there may also be some root problem starting if it is showing on one plant already. make sure that the plants get plenty water.
michael brenock horticultural advisor (retired)
Organicgrowingpains

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Michael, there is plenty of ventilation but it has been very hot for the last few weeks.How do we correct magnesium deficiency?! Confused Confused Confused
michael brenock

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

one teaspoonful of Epsom salts dissolved in one gallon water and used as a stock solution. Dilute this to one in ten and water on to the roots 2-3 times per week when watering or feeding normally. it is sometimes recommended as a foliar feed but tends to scorch the leaves. To confirm that it is magnesium deficiency leave one plant untreated and see if there is any difference. In future years spray the ground before planting.
Organicgrowingpains

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Michael, off to buy the Epsom salts now will keep you posted on results! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
breezyacre

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I notice the same happening to my plants now. The leaves are curling up into themselves. It is very hot and has been very hot but I gave them lots of water and doors are open all the time. Is there anything I can do?
Sive

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm noticing the same, but what I would like to know in addition is.....does it matter if the leaves have curled up a bit ? I don't really care what the plants look like so long as I the tomatoes continue to grow and ripen.
michael brenock

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sive the tomatoes will continue to ripen but the plants will never achieve their full potential if there is a shortage of magnesium or if the leaves are curling. Make the conditions as near as possible to ideal.
breezyacre

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

is irrigating regularly and ventilating as well as possible all one can do to provide the optimum conditions for the tomatoes. I think I have done this and yet the leaves are curling. Have added a picture. I would appreciate any help anyone can give me. The same happened last year though the weather later in the summer was markedly duller and colder than it has been so far.

P7010011.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  16.79 KB
 Viewed:  5760 Time(s)

P7010011.JPG

walltoall
Rank attained: Orchard owner

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometimes the problem of overheating in glasshouses can be overcome by whiting out the windows on the south side, especially if the house is east-west orientated. I used to use windowlene on the outside!

Windows should be open from 9oc latest to about 7pm in June. Not so important if the sky is overcast, but a glasshouse can get up to 115F by 12oc. Watering copiously with a spray rose mid-morning can cool the house by over 10 degrees at midday. Tomatoes grown in the ground can use a gallon of water per plant per day. Anything less is waste of time. If you are vine-growing (up a string or similar) remove sideshoots before they get to two inches. ALWAYS remove leaves below each truss as soon as it sets its fruit, generally about five days after the [yellow] flowers fall.

I hope the magnesium remedy is not too late. The best time for the plants to get magnesium is between planting out in April/May and the arrival of the first flowers. Last point is best food of all for mid-life tomatoes is dried blood.

Sive

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Michael.....I'm growing tomatoes for the first time this year, so I'm treating this year as a learning one......but I still don't see why the leaves are curling, as I have shaded the roof of our little glasshouse and the temperature is generally around the 80 deg. I think I may have a lot more learning ahead of me !
breezyacre

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks walltoall . That is a comprehensive answer. You mention bringing down the midday temperature by misting. Do you mean misting the plants or misting generally in the tunnel. I think you are right about the high temperatures. Don't know how I could shade the plants in the tunnel from the heat. Perhaps I could use an old sheet inside the tunnel to make a sort of tent for the middle of the day.
thanks again.

walltoall
Rank attained: Orchard owner

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:37 pm    Post subject: tomato leaf curling Reply with quote

Taithnionn do síniú go mór-mór liomsa, breezyacre. An gaeilge na Múmhain é?

The misting can be done over the plants or down the rows. I never worked polytunnels as such but you could aim the spray at the top of the dome. It's the presence of water on any holding surface that is important. During evaporation the H2O takes up a huge amount of heat. It must be tough working under plastic. With the glasshouses we had handles and wires that could open all the top or side windows together at one go. And I worked in Rush glasshouses with overhead sprinklers in the late 50's.

breezyacre

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sea gaeilge na mumhan foghlamtha leis na Bráithre Chríostaí os cionn tríocha blian o shin in Inis Co. an Chláir. Buíochas as an chabhair ar fad.
Organicgrowingpains

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update on our tomatoes.I made up the epsom salts mix and applied it a few times, I also removed the worst affected plant which allowed more ventilation around the remaining ones.Some of the a lower leaves still curl a little but it has made no difference to the amount of the fruit which they have produced.
When watering I hosed the sides of the greenhouse and the floor too, maybe one or all of the treatment worked as we have great tomatoes.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: