Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland

Slugs and cabbages.

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Most Recent Posts funny
Last post: kindredspirit
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns
At last! A garden joke. (except maybe it's not a joke!)
Last post: Ado 2
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Greengage

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
monkeynic
Rank attained: Rowan Tree

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 5:46 pm    Post subject: Slugs and cabbages. Reply with quote

We are having a really bad slug problem in our cabbage bed, we have beer traps down to try and catch them but a lot seem to like living in the heart of the cabbage, hiding down amongst the leaves. Can anyone please suggest a way to stop this?
simonj
Rank attained: Pedunculate oak tree

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried nemaslug?
monkeynic

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not heard of it. Would it be safe to put actually on the plant, we have some slug pellets around each bed but don't want to put on bed and especially not on plants as dont want to poison food.
simonj

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perfectly safe, it uses slugs natural parasites to kill them.

Also, at sunrise/sunset dusk/dawn
get a torch, go out and pick them off, and kill them - the more you kill the less offspring, less problems

All details on getting nemaslug and details of it:

http://www.mrmiddleton.com/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&page=shop.browse&category_id=172&Itemid=34

For other pests like caterpillars, root worms etc. try www.nemo.ie

Keep up the beer traps - some home made ones here

http://connemaracroft.blogspot.com/2010/05/slug-traps.html

Ferramol pellets are a cleaner way to kill slugs, they have them at the irishseedsavers - who seem to be out of stock,

http://store.irishseedsavers.ie/products/family/9/garden-equipment/category/53/misc/item/237/slug-pellets/

Or johnstown garden centre online

http://www.johnstowngardencentre.ie/vitax-slug-death--certified-organic-slug-control/slug_deathpd.aspx
michael brenock
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

once the slugs get into the heart of the cabbage they stay there. You must prevent the slugs getting in there in the first place. The slugs will stay in the hearts of the cabbage and feed there so it makes no difference now what bait or traps you put around the heads. Sorry to be so negative.
michael brenock horticultural advisor (retired)
monkeynic

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice Simon J. Will look into it. Michael, we think we have got most of them out, is there any way to prevent them getting in? Some seem fine but worried about them suffering the same fate.
PeterEnglish
Rank attained: Hawthorn Tree

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds like those cabbages already under slug attack might have had it, but try the nematodes anyway - as simonj says, the more slugs you kill now, the fewer you'll have next year.

Or could you encourage a few frogs and hedgehogs into your garden with a wildlife area? I've frogs behind and under my shed, and they work wonders!
simonj

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or buy a duck I'm told
Blowin
Rank attained: Orchard owner

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to admit that, since we've had a couple of chickens roaming the garden, the incidence of slugs has been markedly reduced. As with the 'duck' suggestion, though, it's very much a sledge hammer to crack a nut unless you already keep them.

Chickens are not an experiment we intend to repeat, largely because we're too soft and keep them like pets, but, as I say, they do annihilate anything that moves. If you can enclose your cabbage patch, once the plants are sturdy enough the chooks won't do anything more harmful than peck at the coarse outside leaves but they'll create absolute havoc on other beds.

catnip
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi there am new here and new to gardening but not new to slugs (which i've been saving from my green-fingered mother for years).... and i know this is gonna sound off the wall but there is something that slugs love to eat more than cabbage /lettuce or any other plant for that matter..... dry cat food!! i know your thinking i'm a little out there but it really does work...if you put some down in a certain area of the garden away from your plants on a regular basis you'll train the slugs to only go there for food.... thay love it ...it's like an feeding frenzy every night ....i like slugs and could never bring myself to kill one but if you use the cat food as a lure you can get them to move away from the veg patch (and then do what you will to them then). Oh and be sure that you put some old planks/wood near where you feed them so they have somewhere cool and sheltered to live and then they'll have no reason to go back to the cabbages for housing. They tend to move from one plant to another for both food and shelter but if you provide both in one place they'll stay there. Am not sure if you'll find this helpful or not but i've lived in my house 5 yrs and grow my lettuces/kale/herbs/strawberries/cabbage/potato in pots on the decking (very small garden) and never have i lost anything to them or found a slug when harvesting and trust me when i say i have a lot of slugs in the garden.
SorchaBC

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Catnip,

That is a fantastic tip, thank you, as although I have no problem with decimating slugs I also acknowledge that they belong in the eco-system of my garden therefore I'd rather not have to kill them.

Now if you could just suggest how to keep the kitties from digging in the veg patch... Laughing
therickmoister

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 7:53 pm    Post subject: Keeping the kitties out Reply with quote

I have used clear plastic bottles filled with water and placed them around the veggie patch,I have found it very effective someone said it had to with reflections
catnip

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have 6 kitties and none of them go in either my garden or the neighbours..... have no idea how it ended up like that....lucky i guess as they we're all trained to a litter box in the house but all outgrew it. I have to agree with therickmoister....my sister in law and my mum both use the bottle of water technique and both swear it works a treat ( :

nice to hear someone else doesn't like killing slugs... they have such a bad rep the poor little things ( :
forest flame
Rank attained: Yew tree

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi
i just received a present of a packet of nemaslug and have it in the fridge.it is a week past the best before date.would it be a waste mixing and applying or is it worth a go
thanks in advance for any help
simonj

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With regards the out of date nemaslug, its better to light a candle than curse the darkness.

Id give it a mix and give it a shot - what harm could it do, but the sooner the better

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: