Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Introduce yourself to the rest of the Irish gardeners

Introduction

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next  
Most Recent Posts ...What did you do Today...
Last post: tagwex
Horrible weed-infested spotty lawn
Last post: tagwex
Gathering your own horse manure
Last post: Sue Deacon
grass clippings
Last post: Blowin

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
Geranimojess
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 5:28 pm    Post subject: Introduction Reply with quote

Just a quick Intro'.My Name is David, I'm a Man of Leisure (Retired) a Born n Bred "Dub" recently moved to N/W Sligo,overlooking Mullaghmore Harbour n Donegal Bay.I'm in the process of turning a Horse Riding Arena (previous owners) back into a Garden,a lot of hard work ahead of me and no doubt I'll be looking for loads of advice.Looking forward over the coming Months (possibly years) to making a few Friends and getting/giving advice along the way.
Cheers.
Sive

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome David, you've moved to a really beautiful part of the world. We would love to see some "before" photos, so's we can look forward to the "after" photos in the next few years! Good luck with the new garden.
Her Outdoors
Rank attained: Ash Tree
Rank attained: Ash Tree

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a project - good luck! As Sive said, some before & after pictures would be great both for forum members and for yourself to look back on. Welcome from the Mid West.
Geranimojess

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you both for your welcome,I have a few photos taken the Day we moved in but only being a Novice on the Computer I will have to wait until my Grand-daughter age 5 comes down to show me how to enclose a Photo.Seriously I will get my Son/Daughter to show me when they visit.
So far I have managed to turn part of the Arena into a play-area for the Grandchildren with Swings-Slides-SeeSaw-Rocking Boat-Wendy House.I've also managed to erect a 3Tier Water Fountain and Decking and Flower and Shrubbery Beds,so I have not been idle.
I'll try and get the Photos ASAP.
Cheers.
Dave.
Geranimojess

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PS
This one is for Sive,what part of Wexford are you in ,I lived in Gorey for 5yrs,1980-85,and I loved every minute of those 5yrs,really sorry when I left.
Sive

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi David, we live in the countryside south of Gorey, so that is where we do all our shopping etc. We retired down here from Dublin and absolutely love it, in fact it feels like being on perpetual holiday. If I ever have to go to Dublin I can't wait to get back on to the N11 going south....
We're into our fourth summer of making a garden out of bare earth...hard work but very satisfying.
Wexford has a wonderful quality of light and fabulous skies, and the people are fantastic.
What do you like most about Sligo ?
Geranimojess

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Sive.That was a rapid response not that I'm complaining,We lived in Gorey Hill up to the right of the Monument as your leaving Gorey for Ferns.The best way I can describe Sligo is by saying its as close to Heaven as I'm likely to ever get,Its rugget Coastlines and Mountains are just Mouthwatering,the Beachs are a Walkers Paradise,backroads to die for with their Elevated views,Benbulbin Mountain in my backgarden and Donegal Bay in my front,I think you get the gist.
Sorry have to leave now "Her who must be obeyed" wants to go Shopping, catch you again.
Dave.
Sive

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Dave,
Yes it sounds like heaven all right....and you have the majestic Atlantic too.... I'm afraid the Irish Sea isn't the same thing at all, beautiful as the Wexford beaches are.....the sea is relatively "tame" somehow.
But we're blessed to live here and I wake up every morning with a smile on my face....I'm sure you're just the same !
We live in a beautiful country and probably just don't appreciate it enough.
Geranimojess

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi again Sive.A waste of a good Day doing the Shopping but I suppose one has to eat now and again,If satisfaction could be measured in Food terms I'd be 50st in weight but the odd break does one good,gives the Body parts time to regroup for the next onslaught.
Are you the sole Enthusiast in your House or is your Hubby likewise,My better half unfortunately is partially Disabled so the Mammoth Tasks are a One-Man Workgang,still there is nothing wrong with her Vocal cords.Anyhow I cant spend all Evening chatting I have to walk the Land to Survey what needs to be done Tomorrow,sounds rather Gran~deur better than the Back-Garden in Dublin 24.
Catch you again.
Dave
Sive

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Himself does the vegetables, I do the flowers and we share the trees, hedges and shrubs......sort of...........we make it up as we go along I suppose !
mountainy man
Rank attained: Hawthorn Tree

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi david ,
Welcome.! I'm in sligo too ,the other end though up on Carran hill , great scenery . Good luck with the work ! I hope we can be of help.
denis

Geranimojess

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi ya Denis,I've heard of Cairns Hill but Carren Hill has me stumped,not to worry we wont fall out over it.are you a full-Blooded Sligonian or a blow-in like myself.Whats your Garden preferences Veggies or Colour.
Thanks for the Welcome,I've been on other Gardening Sites but nothing compared to this one,already after only 3 Days I've 14 Entries/Replies I cant remember the Technical word I'm a novices novice {its worded correctly} on this Computer,I think I'll stick to Gardening and Carpentry,but I feel comfortable in these surroundings,long may it continue.
No doubt we will be at each others Beck and Call in the future.
Cheers. Dave.
mountainy man

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi david,
Have been living in sligo since i was 12 (35 now) was born in wales, my father was from sligo , Carran hill is in south east sligo between lough Arrow and lough Allen my garden is at 290 metres above sea level and as such is very exposed am close to a wind farm ! I have planted lots of trees and shrubs as a wind break but as yet too small to be effective yet, only moved here four years ago (was near Riverstown)its a two acre plot with a cottage which had been abandoned twenty years previously am renovating the cottage bit by bit am only living in new extention at the back as yet , spent first year in a little caravan which is not much fun in a storm .
I like a bit of everything in the garden , I have a veggie plot and the start of an orchard and a large ornamental bit with flower beds and lawn , my soil is a thin layer of peat which is only three inches deep in some places over limestone rock. its all a challenge and i love it, i couldnt live without a garden it keeps me sane ish !
you may call yourself a novice but if you know what you like and dislike its half the battle, have a look in your neighbouring gardens to see what grows well and start from there , above all enjoy it and have fun !
Denis

Geranimojess

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[i
Hi Denis,Had to make a sudden Trip to Dublin and only arrived back a short while ago hence the delay replying,I can see now why your called Mountainy Man,the Area you describe between L/Arrow and L/Allen is Mountainous judging from the Map I have in front of me.I do a bit of P/T Coach Driving for a local Company and several times I've been to the Arigna Mines,there is nothing to beat a Mug of Coffee sitting on a Bench looking across L/Allen towards Slieve Anierin and Drumshanbo.
You remarked about having 3ins of Peat to work on before hitting Rocks,that would be Heaven for me.I think my House was build on the Quarry that supplied the entire West of Ireland with all the Stone Walls,anyway this is just a quickie and no doubt we will cross Paths again,perhaps you could let me see some of your handiwork sometime.
Cheers. Dave.[/i]
steeo
Rank attained: Hazel Tree
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum Dave Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
I too will be looking for some advice on gardening as I have a nice little project coming up soon I hope.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Introduce yourself to the rest of the Irish gardeners All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: