Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Hard landscaping in Ireland, Garden Features (Paths, Patios, Paving, Decking, Walls etc)

advice for fitting garden lanterns

Most Recent Posts Christmas reading.
Last post: Greengage
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Greengage
At last! A garden joke. (except maybe it's not a joke!)
Last post: Sue Deacon
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
barremic
Rank attained: Rowan Tree

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 1:00 pm    Post subject: advice for fitting garden lanterns Reply with quote

Hi

I have a number of garden (pottery) lanterns that i have picked up on various holidays. In my mams and brothers they have these connectors that clip on to the electrical wire and hold the bulb. And you fit the lantern over the top

does any one know the name of these or where to get them, as there are a few odd shaped areas i want to light, and so store bought party lights would be no good, as the spacings would be wrong.

thanks
Geranimojess
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best thing to do is to bring the Lantern with you into a Electrical Supply Shop,the Parts you require are available and should be no Problem.
barremic

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi Geranimojess

the lanterns just hang on a wire on a nail. like the litte picture i found there.

its basically some type of vampire connection that you just clamp on the wire, so you can add the connections at what ever spacing you need.

M

clay_lantern..jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  3.6 KB
 Viewed:  3655 Time(s)

clay_lantern..jpg

Geranimojess
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[i
Hi Barremic.Judging from the Photo I dont see a Hole in the Top of the Lantern and that could be a small problem,have you any way of Drilling a Hole large enough to take the Neck of the Electrical connector that the Bulb sits into,otherwise the only other way would be to Drill a Hole capable of taking the Electric Cable,when the Cable is pushed through make sure you have fitted a Rubber Grummet {this prevents the Rain dripping through the Hole onto the Electrics} then connect up in the usual way,
But remember that because the Electric Cable will be taking the weight of the Lantern you will need to make sure the Lantern has its own support whatever your Hanging it on.
Failing all that if your Mother/Brothers Lanterns are Identical to your Photo check how they are wired up.Hope that has been of some help to you.
Dave.[/i]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Hard landscaping in Ireland, Garden Features (Paths, Patios, Paving, Decking, Walls etc) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: