Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irish Trees & other trees grown in Ireland

Dwarf Cherry Blossom Tree?

Most Recent Posts What is this plant guys
Last post: Bill2015
Anyone know what this is called
Last post: Black&Amber
re potato spraying
Last post: tagwex
Broad bean question.
Last post: mange tout

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
audsh
Rank attained: Hazel Tree
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 1:54 pm    Post subject: Dwarf Cherry Blossom Tree? Reply with quote

Hi
about 3-4 yrs ago i planted a tree in my v small front garden. its currently about 3-4 feet and hasnt gotten much taller since i bought it but it is growing out and the branches down. The tree i bought was a dwarf cherry blossom(flowering but no fruit) and if i remember correctly it said it would grow to 5 or 6 feet but have been reading about them and a couple of places said dwarfs could grow to 20-25 feet. as you can see (hopefully, i can get the pic up) there is not enough room in my garden for this but i love the tree and think it beautiful. does anyone know about these trees how big will it grow or could i grow it in a lrg container and can it be transplanted sucessfully?
Thanks in advance for any replys
Auds

IMG_0319.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  92.17 KB
 Viewed:  11136 Time(s)

IMG_0319.JPG

Belfast
Rank attained: Sessile Oak Tree
Rank attained: Sessile Oak Tree

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

all depend on the root stock it is on.
vincentdunne
Rank attained: Hawthorn Tree
Rank attained: Hawthorn Tree

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If this is P. pendula, it will stay dwarf. It should have single pink flowers.
If they are double, it is probably 'Cheal's Weeping' which fill that area easily.
tippben
Rank attained: Vegetable garden tender

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have a base grafted Cheal's weeping cherry. Yes, they can achieve 20-30' in height over a 50 year lifespan, but look at how the leading shoot bends over under its own weight. When young, these trees will only put on 6" to 1" (max) in a year.

Width is the limiting factor. You can prune the branches in July, never in Winter, as it could get Silver Leaf disese at that time, but bear in mind that the nranch will fork and grow again at the pruning point.

Containerising is not a realistic option for more than a couple of seasons,as japanese cherries need a wide shallow root plate to succeed. If you have another planting site, lift it carefully while dormant. You would need to dig outside of the farthest branches all round, then undercut the rootball, then move and replant to the same level. The digging would have to be done by hand, and all broken roots cleany pruned with loppers, but the weight of the rootball would need a tractor or digger to lift it.

What I would do it prune 1/3 of the branches from the base, to give a clear stem. Then prune the side branches by 1/4. Do this in July. Then go round the tree with a sharp spade at the branch limit- this will prune the root system. Repeat the process for several years, and you should have a clear stemmed "Standard". As long as you mulch in spring, and foliar feed with liquid seaweed after pruning, there is no reason you can't have a topiary/bonsai type of tree in that space.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irish Trees & other trees grown in Ireland All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: