Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Perennials, Ferns and Ornamental grasses

Hellebore dying?

Most Recent Posts Garlic problem
Last post: Greengage
funny
Last post: ponddigger
Introduce yoursellf to whom.......................
Last post: Keeks
I'm new here
Last post: tagwex

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
catman
Rank attained: Hawthorn Tree

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 11:23 pm    Post subject: Hellebore dying? Reply with quote

I had a lovely big hellebore in the garden that I planted last year. It came into bloom as normal this year with an abudance of flowers, however now everything has gone brown and dried up, leaves and blooms. It has dropped all its seeds however I was wondering if it is normal for the whole plant to die away after this? Last year the blooms turned brown and faded away but the leaves stayed green and new blooms came through after the winter. There is nothing left of the plant now. Anyone have an idea if this is normal or what should I do?
frengers80

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 9:46 pm    Post subject: helleboure dying Reply with quote

hi there,it dosent sound good,i lost a few last season to the dreaded vine weevil,check around the crown of the plant and see if the rootball is loose as the little feckers munch away the roots over winter and damage only become noticeable as the plant tries to grow away.if its loose check surrounding soil for white grubs,remove and destroy!!!
catman

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I havent noticed any grubs or the root ball being loose. I cut everything back to ground tonight as it was just getting worse and I noticed that all the lower stems of the leaves and plants were soft and very slimy when I tried to cut through them, whereas the leaves were dry and brown. I'm just wondering if anyone has come across this to let me know if the plant is a goner?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Perennials, Ferns and Ornamental grasses All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: