Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Garden Photo gallery & Plant Identification area

Photos of my raised bed veg garden

Goto page Previous  1, 2  
Most Recent Posts GRAVEL DRIVE CARE
Last post: I love Trees!!!
Is this Spiraea japonica
Last post: Greengage
Beech Head leaf browning issue
Small lawn advice please

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
westclaregrower
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 6:42 pm    Post subject: Hoops Reply with quote

The hoops are 2m lengths of water pipe 15mm diamiter bought in B&Q or Wicks cost around €3 per piece, i used the hard green metal plant stakes from homebase cut up to 12" pieces shove one end in the pipe and other into the ground - i got 4 pieces of each one.

I have a plan to make mini polytunnels for the start of next season and do some netting or fleece covers also.
My beds are 900mm wide or 3ft approx internally so the top of the hoop is nice and high.

Regards WCG
artalis
Rank attained: Silver Birch Tree
Rank attained: Silver Birch Tree

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 10:16 pm    Post subject: hoop making Reply with quote

Thanks westclaregrower,

That's a great way to make those polytunnel hoops and it helps to save a fortune.

Def. gonna get onto that one for the frosty season this year, as I want to protect my arum lillies, if the temp. dips to below -4 etc for a prolonged period; and also see if I can manage to keep some of the herbs that I have started green over the winter.

artalis Smile
inishindie
Rank attained: Tree plantation keeper

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 11:29 pm    Post subject: lovely Reply with quote

Hi westclaregrower

You are soo tidy....I was in our veggie patch today trying to see the parsley through the chickweed. ...

I think your raised beds are terrific too, there are a few companies making them around the country as they are becoming all the more popular. They will last you years. Great use of plastic tubing too...

westclaregrower

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 7:07 pm    Post subject: I only wish i was as tidy as the veg patch Reply with quote

hi Inishindie,
If only i was as tidy elsewhere, the garage looks like a bomb hit it and after nearly 3 solid weeks of rain in the west the garden is looking a tad shabby too.

I checked the courgettes today and they have turned into marrow size over the space of two days, they still amazes me how fast they grow! can't keep them picked fast enough.

I know what you mean about the raised beds, there are quite a few trying to sell them now, but most of the ones i have seen are astronomically expensive for what they are. ive seen a similar sized bed to one i have 1m x 3m including soil for €450.00 Shocked Cost of timber and soil is only €55-60 plus some hard graft.

Regards
WCG
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Garden Photo gallery & Plant Identification area All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: