Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Introduce yourself to the rest of the Irish gardeners

noobie

Most Recent Posts 2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Greengage
At last! A garden joke. (except maybe it's not a joke!)
Last post: Sue Deacon
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns
funny
Last post: tagwex

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
TheGoodLife
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 10:53 pm    Post subject: noobie Reply with quote

hello all,
hope the rains have been embraced these last couple of days by all !! Rain barrels are full up once again. Thanks for allowing me on board, no doubt I'll have more questions than answers. Currently have a polytunnel, outside veg patch, goats, hens, ducks & dogs, and a 7 month old(Fíachra - patron saint of gardeners) who is growing quicker than anything in the garden !! Allthe best for the coming seasons & a bumper harvest wished for all,
Is mise le meas
Máirtin

Sive
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome Mairtin, sounds like you have a garden bursting with life. I'd love your opinion on hens and ducks.....how destructive are they if they have the run of a garden ?
cooler
Rank attained: Sessile Oak Tree
Rank attained: Sessile Oak Tree

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome TheGoodLife. Great member name. I'm with Sive as I'm a bit scared to combine ducks and a garden. I'm sure it can be done though.
TheGoodLife

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi all, ok the hens are more destructive than the ducks and quicker to pull a place apart but I hope to outwit them as time passes !! I try not to get too annoyed if they get the upper hand and banish all thoughts of a roasting dish and fan assisted oven. They got our winter crops last year, some earlies this year but its all part and parcel. On the plus side their manure quickly reduces a compost heap and by this october we will be self sufficient for fertiliser. They make great little tractors too, turn a sod and they make it into fine tilt in no time saves me the work ! We have a little stream so the ducks reside there and rarely venture to the veg they are more inclined to nibble 5-6" grass and weeds in the stream. The duck egg has a better taste also IMO and makes a wicked omlette. By end of summer dollars from egg sales will pay for a proper fowl proof fence around outside veg patch so they pay their own way most of the tme. I am forgetting the hours of laughter watching them mooching around all with their own character. Besides all the serious stuff around gardening its important to have some fun - chickens and hens bring plenty to the party
Sive
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all that information, Mairtin, I would love to have the fun of ducks and hens in the garden, but my better half is against the idea, saying they will get into his vegetables and destroy all his hard work, and I certainly don't think that would be fair to him.
I suppose a run of some sort would be the solution, so that hens and/or ducks would only be free to roam when we're around to keep an eye on them.
heno55

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all this is my first post,the way i got around the duck and hen problem is with site safety panels they are about 12ft by 7ft and as light as a feather i got a metal fabricator to make a gate in one of them for ease of access six of them makes a fairly large run
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Introduce yourself to the rest of the Irish gardeners All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: