Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Carna Caldo verde - Portuguese greens soup

Most Recent Posts oops
Last post: kindredspirit
funny
Last post: kindredspirit
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Margo
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
simonj
Rank attained: Pedunculate oak tree

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 8:33 pm    Post subject: Carna Caldo verde - Portuguese greens soup Reply with quote

More pics and tips as always at the blog, link in signature

500 gm Potato, peeled and diced
100 gm Milan Purple top - mild white turnip, cleaned and diced
300 gm turnip tops, kale or other greens
200 gm Onion, chopped
4 cloves Garlic
200 gm chouri├žo, choritzo or another dried Iberian pork diced
A good Salami is a viable alternative
1.5 litres of chicken or veggie stock
2 bay leaves
Level teaspoon Paprika
Salt and pepper to taste
Olive oil, about half a cup for drizzle

Method
1. In a large pot, heat some olive oil over medium heat. Add the onions and sweat until they are translucent.

2. Add the garlic, paprika and the sausage and cook until the onions have been well coated with the fats rendered form the sausage.
Veggies can leave out the sausage, but you will have to add extra salt or substitute sun dried tomato.

3. Add the diced potatoes and turnip, sweat them a little, they will absorb the flavours

4. Add the stock, seasoning and bay leaves, and cook until the potatoes are soft. Season to taste, dont be afraid of the salt with this one.

5. Meanwhile, remove the stems and very finely chop the greens, really fine.
I just used the turnip tops in this soup, but kale, cabbage and other greens are good as well.

6. When the potatoes and turnip are ready, whisk the broth to make a thick base.
Some people say to use a blender, but I like some texture in soup

7. Blanch the greens with boiling water to take off any bitterness, i.e put them in a strainer and pour over some boiling water, they wilt quickly.

8. Add as many greens as the soup will support - if you want heavy soup add loads of greens, if lighter, add less.

9. Simmer for a few minutes. The soup will go a really nice golden colour with a jade tinge.
The more greens you added, the greener it will go - my limit was what I pulled from the garden with three baby turnips.

10. Ladle to a bowl - Swirl in a little olive oil into the soup. You can liven this up by adding a little Paprika, tabasco or piri-piri which gives it an exotic red dash, and more spiciness.

If you want to go vegetarian, you can of course omit the chorizo and compensate by adding more salt to season the soup, but the final drizzle of olive oil when serving is essential

Serve with some crusty rustic bread, or as I did a salty soda bread, and wallow in praise!

As they say in Portugal, Bom apetite!

Last edited by simonj on Sat Jun 19, 2010 8:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
breezyacre
Rank attained: Silver Birch Tree
Rank attained: Silver Birch Tree

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would you believe this very dish became our treat on Thursday nights. I had kale in the garden and I found it was an excellent way to use it. I did cook the kale separately for about 10 mins before adding to the soup though to soften it. I often added leek instead of onion to use them.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Recipe drop All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: