Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Perennials, Ferns and Ornamental grasses

Bamboo trees

Most Recent Posts funny
Last post: Margo
At last! A garden joke. (except maybe it's not a joke!)
Last post: Ado 2
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Greengage
How to install a pond liner and underlay
Last post: ianpools

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
killester
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 2:22 am    Post subject: Bamboo trees Reply with quote

I have 10 bamboo trees all in large pots for about 4 years. They seem to be in trouble, cananyone advise on the care of these trees,advice would be most welcome.
Cheers
Belfast
Rank attained: Sessile Oak Tree

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

any photos?
killester

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
Thanks for taking the time to reply. I went at them today and cut out all the dead branches,they look pretty bare at the moment. I will take some photos tomorrow and post them.
Cheers
sal

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

could they have outgrown the pots?
ormondsview
Rank attained: Silver Birch Tree

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 10:01 am    Post subject: bamboo loves water Reply with quote

If they're dried out, they suffer. Cut the dead tops off and repot. Divide up if you can with a small spade or knife. Place them in a bowl that is filled with water and stones and keep wet. I lost several bamboo when they just dried out and they were beside the pond where the wind blows the spray at their tops. I overlooked their roots which were quite dense. They were from plant sales in August and the weather was too hot so their roots were probably damaged.

Sick plants sometimes recover in shade when nursed along with optimal watering, feeding, pruning and division. http://www.bamboogarden.com/care.htm
killester

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi There,
I dont think the pots are the problem,Water or lack of it would appear to be the problem. I cut away all the dead branches and thinnrd in the process. Ihave watered well and will continue to do so, I am not sure what to feed them eith if you have any ideas that would be great.
Thanks.
L
ormondsview

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 4:46 pm    Post subject: feeding bamboo Reply with quote

All plants like natural fertilizer like manure watered down as a tea base. They get very strong on composted organic matter in the soil which gives nutrients lacking in the store bought perlite/vermiculite/ peat mixture that surrounds most potted plants. At last resort, you might have on hand some fertilizer from the store which has the larger and stronger doses of the major 3 components to growth. But take care to dilute it to minimal strength - a watery blue color a an eyedropper type feeding. Follow the package instructions.

Make friends with people who have bamboo. It grows rampant and gardeners just love to share. If your plant dies, do a trade with a friend.
Lady Power

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have anywhere to plant them out? I'm sure they've done great work for you til now,---bamboo is a very attractive plant and there's nothing quite like it in a landscape; perhaps they deserve a reward by being made permanent...good for hiding things ( depending on their height, of course) and they never seem to stop moving, even in the stillest wind conditions.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Perennials, Ferns and Ornamental grasses All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: