Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland

Advice needed re Tomatoes, and Strawberries

Most Recent Posts 2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Greengage
funny
Last post: tagwex
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns
At last! A garden joke. (except maybe it's not a joke!)
Last post: Ado 2

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
Jerrymc
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:39 am    Post subject: Advice needed re Tomatoes, and Strawberries Reply with quote

I am a complete novice. I built a Polytunnel about a month ago, and have planted a sample of many fruit and veg. The tunnell is 20ft by 10 ft, and I have raised beds inside, with very good soil, mixed with a little sand, and horse manure. I have planted, Tomatoes, Strawberries, Lettuce, Cabbage, Brussels Sprouts, Parsley, Onions sets, and Rhubarb. Everything is growing, ...but now I really dont know how to ensure that I am doing the correct thing with them. I have inserted canes alongside the Tomatoes, and have supported them with little plastic ties.Is this sufficient???

My strawberries have Flowered, and I can now see fruit starting. The are very low [close to the soil], and the fruit is hanging down. Will this result in rotten fruit???. Also, I planted them close to the Tomatoes. And now someone told me that I should not have done this.

Any advice the you folks can give about anything that I planted, will be most welcome
Digger Dan

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jerrymc,

one thing I would say about strawberries from my experience is that you do need to get them clear of soil/ground. My strawberries (in a tunnel) started ripening mid May and I lost a few of them that lay in contact with the growbag.

To lift them up I suspended a bamboo can over the row of plants and looped some garden wire around the fruit trusses. This keeps them clear of the bag/soil as they ripen. I've lost none to rot since.

Digger Dan
Jerrymc

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DiggerDan

Thank you so much for the reply. I will try to do this tomorrow.
Charles_Dimmock
Rank attained: Hawthorn Tree
Rank attained: Hawthorn Tree

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently planted strawberries and tomatoes but as of yet no flowers, I have them in a sunny area and keep them well watered.

They're a good size plant but i'm desperate to see some flowering, is there anything I can do? I should add I have them exposed and aren't in a pollytunnel or greenhouse.

You might be able to tell i'm a novice Laughing
qwerty?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Charles_Dimmock wrote:

You might be able to tell i'm a novice Laughing

Your not that much of a novice. I gave a growbag with a few strawberry plants to a friend recently, (not the most green fingered) and they wanted to know will they keep deadheading them to encourage flowering Laughing

Just have patience, they'll come. Outdoor temps have been quite low until last week. We've been enjoying strawberries for the last 3 weeks from our polytunnel.
michael brenock
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

do not plant cabbage, brussels sprouts or rhubarb in a tunnel as they do just as well outside. Plant some onion sets inside but should be mostly outside. Give plenty room for plants to develop.
michael brenock horticultural advisor (retired)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: