Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Shrubs in Ireland ... Hedging in Ireland

Is my Griselinia hedge is dying?

Most Recent Posts funny
Last post: tagwex
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns
At last! A garden joke. (except maybe it's not a joke!)
Last post: Ado 2
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Greengage

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
bothyhead
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 11:05 am    Post subject: Is my Griselinia hedge is dying? Reply with quote

Hi all,

We have a 35-year-old Griselinia hedge, which is having a bit of a hard time at the moment. The hedge runs down both sides of the garden for about 30 meters. On one side (West) the hedge is a beautiful 7' high, while on the East, it is is miserable - there are loads of dead shrubs. The East side has always been scraggly; however, in the past 5 or so years, several bushes have been dying, and seems to be getting progressively worse. Both us and the neighbours planted the Griselinia more or less at the same time (theirs about 5 years older than ours) - both sets of plants have been affected.

It was suggested to me that perhaps there was some honey root fungus, but I have never seen the fungus or the bootlaces. Just in case, I drenched some of the shrubs with Armillatox for a couple of years.

Also, about 10 years ago, the next-door neighbours installed a new gravel driveway, and in the process some form of weed killer was applied to the ground. Perhaps some of this leached into us.

Years ago the neighbours planted some Privet where the Griselinia was weak, and this seems to be doing fine. They also had the soil tested, which proved inconclusive.

As can be seen from the photos, the hedge is pretty 'thin' in places (we can see into next door). Is there anything that we can do to repair this - is it worth planting more young Griselinia or Privet? Will new shrubs grow in the shade of the existing plants? Also, for privacy, I would like to growth to be relatively quick. Finally, the soil is quite heavy and wet.

Many thanks

And for comparison, the good hedge 40' away:

michael brenock
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if it is not being attacked by "honey or boot lace Fungus" then it is probably Phythopthora which will eventually kill it completely. There is no complete cure for both of these pathogens, unlikely that weedkiller was the cause. my choice would be to dig them out and try and replace the soil before planting with the Privets, choice of Common golden silver or variegated. The only disadvantage is that they are bare for the month of January.
michael brenock horticultural advisor (retired)
bothyhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Michael,

I must Google this Phythopthora, but it doesn't sound good Sad

We were already thinking of replacing the dead shrubs with variegated Privet, so it's good to hear that as a recommendation from you.

The existing hedge consists of two sets of shrubs, both ours and the neighbours, so I'm not sure how digging and replacing the soil would go. Also, the neighbours have only just moved in, and I don't even know them to say hello to Smile

If I was to take our side out and then wash the soil with Armillatox, I wonder would that do?

Anyway, many thanks for your response; it gives me something else to look into.

B
bothyhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

p.s. I forgot to mention that a couple of years ago I had to cut down a 30-year-old Rowan tree, which was planted in the same area. This died over a period of 4 years. Once cut, I could see that the damage was quite intensive. An
Ornamental Cherry tree also failed, while a similar one planted in a different area in the garden is thriving. Also, I believe that we had a Photinia that failed.

Saying that ... certain shrubs seem to be doing rather well (Dogwood, Magnolia, Wedding Cake Tree)

B
James Kilkelly

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The signs are pointing to Honey fungus alright bothyhead especially with the death of the cherry tree.
I would have to disagree though with the choice of privet as a replacement, as it can be quite susceptible to Honey fungus itself.
Eleagnus or Laurel would be more resistant.
Have a look at this piece I put together on Honey fungus a while back........ Honey fungus "boot-lace", cause, treat, cure.

One novel solution I have used before is to cut out the dead growth, then train some flexible side shoots from healthy remaining specimens in a horizontal fashion.
These when tied at low and middle points tend to to flesh out the gap.

http://www.allotments.ie/ Ireland's allotments.
On Twitter... http://twitter.com/Allotments

Garden Consultation & Design.

Try my Garden Design home study course!
bothyhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn Sad

Thanks James
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Shrubs in Ireland ... Hedging in Ireland All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: