Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Landscaping / Gardening Ireland, Overall discussion & Garden related News.

Privacy Screen for back garden- concrete post fence

Most Recent Posts Storm approaching
Last post: Keeks
Curator wanted.
Last post: Greengage
Brexit
CURATOR OF PLANTS DUBLIN ZOO.

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
millertime78
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 12:39 pm    Post subject: Privacy Screen for back garden- concrete post fence Reply with quote

Hi all

My back garden is very open and in full view of a minor road beside the house. The fence is concrete posts and chain link. i have sown a variety of whips outside the fence ( which are doing well).
I'd like to put some sort of privacy screen across part of the fence so that the back garden is private. Unfortunately the budget is limited so innovative cheap solutions are welcome.

I'm going to try post up a pic to give you all a better idea of what I'm trying to achieve.

Thanks all[/img]
millertime78

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pic attached

Fence.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  87.76 KB
 Viewed:  6992 Time(s)

Fence.JPG

Geranimojess
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No matter what kind of screening you plant its going to take many Years before you see any results,The only "Instant"method open to you is a Timber Fence,having the Concrete Posts already in place is a big advantage,your local Saw-mill will supply all your needs and you can purchase your requirments over a period of time that suits your pocket.
I know money is tight and compromises have to be made but you could give some thought to Pallets once all Stained/Painted the same colour they could solve your immediate needs.
Hope they put a few ideas your way, Dave.
artalis
Rank attained: Silver Birch Tree
Rank attained: Silver Birch Tree

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 8:04 pm    Post subject: screen Reply with quote

Hi millertime,

How about some fast growing climbers, like Russian vine for example? Position tall sturdy posts ( base of post in cement ), every 5 o 6 ft and run wires, plastic or metal mesh between the posts.

Plant the climber(s) next to the screen you have built, so that they entwine themselves through the mesh/wire support and cover it.

Once established, and Russian vine is very rampant and fast growing, you could try planting an evergreen selection of shrubs in front of your ivy screen for a more permanently planted hedge border. Russian vine needs severly cut back in spring and also needs to be monitored and cut back as it grows if it is in danger of taking over your other garden shrubs or structures.
Smile
artalis
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Landscaping / Gardening Ireland, Overall discussion & Garden related News. All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: