Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland

What can I begin to grow now

Most Recent Posts can anyone identify this
Last post: Sue Deacon
...What did you do Today...
Last post: Sue Deacon
Garlic problem
Last post: Greengage
funny
Last post: ponddigger

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
itrainsinmayo
Rank attained: Hazel Tree
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 11:26 am    Post subject: What can I begin to grow now Reply with quote

Hi there... First post.

I would like to get into growing some veg but I missed the start of the season and rather than waiting around for next year I want to get stuck in and start something. I have an area in the corner of a field that I can use. I plan to go out and by some timber so I can make some raised beds and make the most of the spare time I have which is plenty. I have access to a conservatory that I can use for seeds if need be.

I was going to go down to my local garden center and inquire, but their job is to sell !! I thought it better to ask in here so to give more time to think of what to get.

I eat most veg, so any suggestions would be welcome. And like I said I have lots of time..

Thanks,

Thomas
cathd
Rank attained: Hawthorn Tree
Rank attained: Hawthorn Tree

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All salad crops can be planted throughout the season, eg- lettuces, spring onions radishes- they'll come up quickly too!!
If you work quickly you could get some purple sprouting brocoli sown, and planted on later in the summer for a fantastic spring crop , they need protection from pigeons though.
One of my favourites, runner beans can go straight into the soil for another few weeks, dig a good trench first and fill it with organic matter (it doesn't necessarily need to be rottted down- I've used grass clippings and shredded newspapers in the past) cos they are hungry feeders and a trench full of organic matter will also cut down on watering requirements. Put some runner beans in pots too, to get them started, in case you have major slug problems!
If you can get hold of plants, courgettes can go out now, as long as they're well hardenend off.
In short, there's loads you could be planting, I've just listed some of the things I'll be doing this week-
Your best bet might be to go to one of the online seed sites and look at their sowing calendars, and pick things you'd like to eat.

mcgrueser
Rank attained: Rowan Tree
Rank attained: Rowan Tree

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could still be planting nearly everything at this stage. Nobody will be that far ahead of you because this year is so late.
Like Cathd said, go to a seed site and check the sowing calendar, which is very handy. Seedaholics.com is my favourite because they give you information on the seeds, like when and how.
So to wrap up, get stuck in!
simonj
Rank attained: Pedunculate oak tree

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can onion set still go in? Got some red baron from a mate in return for potted Haricourts
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: