Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irelands Garden tools / equipment. (mowers, glasshouses & polytunnels etc).

Polytunnels Ireland

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  
Most Recent Posts Garden Visits.
Last post: tagwex
Anyone any thoughts on using wind screen protection?
Last post: tagwex
organic feed / nettles
Last post: Blowin
Could somebody help ID these 2 plants please?
Last post: Bill2015

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
baabamaal
Rank attained: Hawthorn Tree

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I opted for a greenhouse instead of a poly (site is very exposed) so I'm no way qualified to comment...BUT!...my feeling would be that you could make your DIY one more robustly than a cheapish kit so Iwould be tempted to go the DIY route. My brother in law made one in a similar fashion to your idea and it seems to be ok. I would guess the key is to ensure all the hotspots are really well secured with the tape so I wouldn't skimp on that part of the project
tagwex
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the input baabamaal, I was beginning to wonder if anyone was reading this at all.
I don't do skimping, do it once and do it right is my motto. I have gotten greedy and decided to do both. Two weeks ago I bought a second hand 12 * 8' aluminium greenhouse for 50 (what a bargain) but still have to put it together and as soon as the work situation cools down a bit I will start on the polytunnel. I was doing the drawings for it last night and have worked out that I have enough material to make one 4 * 14.4m long or two of them 4 * 7.2m long.

This boy can really sing http://youtu.be/Dgv78D2duBE
baabamaal

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very good! 50 seems excellent value. My initial reaction was 'why would you make two tunnels when you could have one large one- but just thinking about it, in terms of humidity etc it might make sense to have two smaller ones to prevent build up airborne nasties?
tagwex

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or have two hiding places!
I will post photos up when the greenhouse is put together and when the tunnels are up.
One snag though is that I will now have to find two extra doors.

baabamaal

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I surprised myself very much be making up a door for my hen run- just a few lengths of four be ones and a few flate-plate brackety things. I used mesh, but you would use poly off-cuts. I reckon by making a fey extra cuts and doubling up on hinges, you could do half doors for aeration and pet/predator exclusion.
tagwex

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now that's an idea, never saw a half door on a tunnel before, should keep the mutt out from digging up what i have sown.

Good guy

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Half door sounds like a great idea. Must pass it on to a friend - sheep got in to his tunnel. You can imagine the rest!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irelands Garden tools / equipment. (mowers, glasshouses & polytunnels etc). All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: