Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irelands Garden tools / equipment. (mowers, glasshouses & polytunnels etc).

Polytunnels Ireland

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next  
Most Recent Posts Potatoes going bad / Fig tree
Last post: Sue Deacon
...What did you do Today...
Last post: Margo
The Post Mortem
Last post: Sue Deacon
The Wexford Whale
Last post: tagwex

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
verge

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exclamation Moderator edit:

As above.
New posters whose initial posts contain direct links to other websites may have those links removed at the moderators discretion. Other members interested in the links may PM the poster to be enlightened as to the link.

Benefited from us? Then link to us or tell others.

http://www.allotments.ie/ Ireland's allotments.
On Twitter... http://twitter.com/Allotments
sineadfoxy
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 9:12 pm    Post subject: my new polytunnel Reply with quote

Hey all, I see a lot of people who are looking for tunnels in Galway... We got a tunnel about 6 weeks ago from a Galway based guy, it's a straight sided tunnel 14ft x 40ft.... yea I know a bit longer than what I imagined 40ft was in my head! Laughing came with doors too and table legs for 5 hoops and delivered free of charge to Kilkenny! Cool I payed about €950 for it. I just done a google search for pollytunnels in Ireland. We had helped my cousin put up her one a few weeks previous(from a different supplier based in Kilkenny), hers was a heavy duty totaly curved one, very heavy frame etc... ours is much lighter but a hell of a lot easier to put up, and once the plastic was trenched it's very sturdy for half the price of her one. I'll have to figure out how to post pics and let u all have a look. Just need to figure out how NOT to kill everything in it! Confused
Janef

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My polytunnel came from Fruithill Farm in Bantry. I got it 5½ years ago and it is fantastic. 6 metres x 6 metres, and about 4 metres high in the centre so it's very airy . Very solid construction. Big door at one end and window at the other end. I'm afflicted by rabbits so can't leave the door open in hot weather. I covered door and window with insect netting for ventilation and have a plastic curtain that I pull down over the door and a hinged plastic cover for the window for cold weather. The steel frame is set into concrete along both sides, and the plastic is fixed along the sides into a metal bar that is attached to the arches and can be hammered down to get really good tension on the plastic. (No burying the plastic edges in trenches and then shredding the plastic with strimmer when clearing weeds!) It's still as good as new after 5 summers and well worth the extra money it cost. I've grown probably a ton of tomatoes and thousands of cucumbers as well as peppers, aubergines, all kinds of salads, herbs, early potatoes in it. Solved the water problem with 9 connected water tanks, about 500 litres of stored rainwater, and a small pump that I found on ebay.
kinvarasustainableliving

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We're organizing a 2 day course in polythene tunnel growing in Kinvara Co. Galway. Anyone interested can request details by pm. It's on on Saturday and Sunday the 19th and 20th of September.
Janef

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 1:47 pm    Post subject: Water Reply with quote

Of course I meant 500 gallons not litres!!! Embarassed
ormondsview
Rank attained: Silver Birch Tree

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 10:35 pm    Post subject: polytunnel advice Reply with quote

I'm looking at the 2nd largest polytunnel now as there is one bigger than the 6m x 3m - which is over a thousand euro. Price ranges from 146.00 to 165.00. I'd like to know if you have to do a lot of monitoring of the flaps and doors if the weather becomes windy. Would that mean that there would be tears from the drafts? Also, when can I plant potatoes and start some seeds in it? I'm looking at a time frame of 2-3 months after delivery to south from UK and also the putting up of it. Any idea how much an experienced person would charge? A local who has 2 will be doing it for me so would like to guess at a fair price.
galwaybeginner
Rank attained: Ash Tree

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A polytunnel should be drum tight, and if it is there should be no problems with wind. Be sure not to leae stuff near it that can get blown into it though!
galwaybeginner

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kinvarasustainableliving - are those courses going to be run again at all?
kinvarasustainableliving

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 10:38 am    Post subject: Upcoming POlytunnel course Reply with quote

Hi, finally got down to sorting out dates and times!! Sorry for the dealy. We are running the polytunnel courses again this March on Saturday and Sunday the 20th and 21st. 10.30am to 4.30 pm both days. The two days can be done together or seperately. Day 1 is about buying a tunnel, how to put it up, where best to put it, what type to get and getting started growing. Day 2 is about ventilation, pest and disease, soil fertilty, winter crops, salads, crop rotation, and alternative crops.
Hope those dates suit!
Lynn

ormondsview

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 11:43 am    Post subject: For the push challenged gardener Reply with quote

Do you or hubby have every gadget imaginable for your garden? What about this item for the hard to go areas? Can't make it up or down Carrauntuohil? Well what about this baby?

1.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  60.53 KB
 Viewed:  30821 Time(s)

1.png

paul5000
Rank attained: Hawthorn Tree

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Rosaleen. I bought my tunnel of Polydome.ie in Birr. Very good staff there. excellent tunnel
JBlaney

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:34 pm    Post subject: Repurposed Tramploine ....... Reply with quote

Hi Folks,
I used a old trampoline and a few scaffolding pole as a frame for my pollytunnel, worked a treat. I'll send photo if anyone wants.
Thanks for all the info. on growing under glass / plastic, looking forward to a lot of hard work this year.

sandra12

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:55 am    Post subject: Re: Repurposed Tramploine ....... Reply with quote

JBlaney wrote:
Hi Folks,
I used a old trampoline and a few scaffolding pole as a frame for my pollytunnel, worked a treat. .

Sounds cool JBlaney. A reuse, recycle idea. Would look to have a gawk at the pics. Can you post them up?
JBlaney

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 3:58 pm    Post subject: Photos of pollytunnel Reply with quote

Hello All,
Nothing fancy, but I think it will do the job. Temp. inside tunnel today was 12 Drgs.
outside temp. was 6.
No special tools or grand construction methods used.

Picture (051).jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  251.96 KB
 Viewed:  30542 Time(s)

Picture (051).jpg

Picture (052).jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  242.98 KB

Picture (052).jpg

Picture (053).jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  217.04 KB

Picture (053).jpg

Picture (054).jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  222.2 KB

Picture (054).jpg

paul5000

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nifty Job man. It will serve you well.
Laughing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irelands Garden tools / equipment. (mowers, glasshouses & polytunnels etc). All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: