Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irish Weeds & Pests and Diseases of the garden.

gold metallic looking beetle

Most Recent Posts Huge storm takes out Sequoia
Last post: Sue Deacon
Indoor sowing.
Last post: Sue Deacon
At last! A garden joke. (except maybe it's not a joke!)
Last post: Ado 2
No Herbicide please
Last post: Greengage

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
monkeynic
Rank attained: Rowan Tree

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 9:55 pm    Post subject: gold metallic looking beetle Reply with quote

Hi all, we have seen some weird gold metallic looking beetles down our allotment, mainly the cabbage patch. Just wondering what they are and if they cause any damage to anything? Have seen some nibbling on plants but think thats slug damage. Any ideas?
sal
Rank attained: Sessile Oak Tree
Rank attained: Sessile Oak Tree

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

saw one of these yesterday,it was on a dock leaf,beautiful isnt it?
monkeynic

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

they look really nice, we seem to have loads of them. Just worried they will do damage.
walltoall
Rank attained: Orchard owner

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aw go on monkeynic gizza picture of the beetle or tell us how big it is in terms of your fingers. There are maybe 3,000,000 different true beetles worldwide with maybe 1000 found in Ireland. Pretty much all of them are either harmless or are gardener's friends (well not the weevils). Many eat plant material, but are usually very picky. Some will eat decaying organic matter of almost any kind. Some will only eat fungus and then often just one type of fungus.

There are predatory beetles, think ladybirds that only eat other insects, and some that eat carrion. Some prefer aquatic organisms, or specialize in eating snails, or aphids. Others eat any meat they can get their chops around.

If you really want an enemy in your garden it'll be an aphid. Keep up the good work there.

monkeynic

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll take a picture tomorrow when I'm at the allotment. They are about the size of little finger nail. Very pretty looking. Sounds like I dont need to worry about them Although I admit aphids are driving me mad. Very Happy
SorchaBC
Rank attained: Hawthorn Tree

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a weird beetle around here too. I've only seen it at night, it's pretty big, about 2.5-3.5 inches long and easily an inch wide. It's green gold in colour, with red antennae that finish in little fluffy/spikey bits (think of a bottle brush plant on the ends and you get the idea).
One little dude was on his back on the porch this morning totally stuck, and I felt sorry for the poor divil so I righted him and he went on his merry way. Now I'm wondering if I should have maybe have removed him from the garden?
Went onto a site that lists every beetle in Ireland, though there's a few they don't have pictures of, and couldn't see him there. Have seen a few of them about in the evenings so I don't think it's rare or anything. Does anyone know the thing I'm talking about? If I have a camera to hand next time I see one I'll try grab a snap.
walltoall
Rank attained: Orchard owner

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 10:00 am    Post subject: possibly a scarab a cockchafer or else an illegal immigrant Reply with quote

http://www.nationalinsectweek.co.uk/insects/cockchafer.php Shocked This link is purely tentative, but it's great that Irish Gardeners are into the bigger gardening picture and seeing and reporting the garden wildlife. If you are serious about your measurements you've got a right whopper and it's way too big for a temperate zone (flying?) beetle. Stag beetles come to mind but the colour is not right and you said nothing about horns. (harmless although the female can nip)
monkeynic

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely not the one I've found anyway. The ones we have got are gold and with a metallic sheen. Really mad looking.
SorchaBC

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not my beetle dude either, though the antenna are sort of similiar, though they were more bristle-y and quite red, almost bright red. It was a big bloody bug alright, and I did think that it didn't look, well, Irish Laughing Definately have to get a picture and measure the thing, will leave the porch light on tonight and see if I can catch one (gaaaah - don't like unknown creepies, might be a job for himself).
James Kilkelly

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A tie in with a recent topic perhaps............ Green Leaf Beetle

http://www.allotments.ie/ Ireland's allotments.
On Twitter... http://twitter.com/Allotments

Garden Consultation & Design.

Try my Garden Design home study course!
paul5000

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have loads of them little fellas, great to know they love eating docks. most of them seam to be in my potato patch and can see no damage by them. Properly cause a potato leaf to a beetle might taste like a raw potato to us!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irish Weeds & Pests and Diseases of the garden. All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: