Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irelands Garden tools / equipment. (mowers, glasshouses & polytunnels etc).

Horse tail

Most Recent Posts Christmas reading.
Last post: Greengage
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Greengage
At last! A garden joke. (except maybe it's not a joke!)
Last post: Sue Deacon
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
pa-v
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 9:21 pm    Post subject: Horse tail Reply with quote

Any one any ideas to get rid of horstail in gardens tried round up wit some sucess

Regards
pa-v :
Protein
Rank attained: Ash Tree
Rank attained: Ash Tree

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't know if you do this already, but its recommended to strim the horsetail (not to the base), to bruise and expose flesh - then spray with round-up.

I don't envy you at all.
Crying or Very sad

inishindie
Rank attained: Tree plantation keeper

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 8:58 am    Post subject: pots and pans Reply with quote

These plants have been around millions of years longer than the dinosaurs and other than getting a bit smaller remain unchanged. These plants don't flower but like ferns they spread with spores. The established plants also have masses of roots and if one piece is left in the soil then they are back again.

I do know of some uses for the plant, they are very effective at polishing metal; they were once imported from Holland for that very reason. They are also very good at cleaning wooden spoons, but unless you were going into the pot cleaning business that bit of information is no good to you whatsoever. The plant can be poisonous to livestock if they have too much of it so putting cattle on your lawn is not the best idea either.

I surfed the Internet to see if anyone has come up with a solution to the encroaching weed. I was amazed to find the Horsetail is a problem in lots of countries; there are special chat lines about the subject, with no real solutions.

There is the suggestion that they can be covered in black polythene for no less than two years. I have tried this but the roots spread to the end of the polythene and new plants emerge.

Spraying can be as unsuccessful as the plants are coated in silica so the weed killer just runs off them, like was just mentioned, each individual stem has to be crushed for this to be successful. If they are in the lawn they can be cut down regularly, this stops the spores spreading the plant but doesn't get rid of the plant. A flamethrower only kills the top growth too so that would be a waste of time as well.

There are some really nasty chemicals that have been suggested...but they too only have limited success

horsetails.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  18.22 KB
 Viewed:  4452 Time(s)

horsetails.JPG

Boland

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:15 pm    Post subject: Horstail Killer Reply with quote

I'm new so this is late reply I know. Might work for next year.

I got a few lorryloads of soil from a neighbour and as a result the place was infested!!! with horsetail.

I tried everything but then gave the place a quick spray of nettleban, worked a charm but it has to mixed strong and any regrowth has to tackeled ASAP. so far 99% has not come back after the first treatment.

I know chemical free control would be better but somtimes....

Tim

Sunny
Rank attained: Rowan Tree
Rank attained: Rowan Tree

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To my knowledge, the only way to be rid of them is to move house! Wink Best of luck with it.
buryjas

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Have a lot of this and found putting salt around base kills it off.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irelands Garden tools / equipment. (mowers, glasshouses & polytunnels etc). All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: