Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irish Trees & other trees grown in Ireland

Dwarf Acers.

Most Recent Posts Good Guy went to Keuchenhof Gardens, The Netherlands
Last post: Ado 2
Horse manure in bags?
Last post: Sue Deacon
hello everyone
Last post: Sue Deacon
...What did you do Today...
Last post: Good guy

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
kindredspirit
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 6:04 pm    Post subject: Dwarf Acers. Reply with quote

Anyone a whiz on all the different types of Japanese Maple available here?

I've read this, http://www.gardenplansireland.com/articles/article20.html but can anyone recommend more different types? I've seen ones that cosset the ground and in different colours. They're magnificent.

And does anyone know a nursery that really specializes in Acers?

I can look all this stuff up on the internet but someone here might be able to give a better guiding hand.

A little garden in Co. Limerick.Some non-gardening photographs.
forest flame
Rank attained: Yew tree

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi ks
there is a nursery in kildare called k and m and they have a huge range of acers and they deliver nationwide
ormondsview
Rank attained: Silver Birch Tree
Rank attained: Silver Birch Tree

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 11:42 pm    Post subject: acers Reply with quote

I have 5 in my garden which I bought when they were on sale, either as a promotion in the spring or clearance in the fall. I transplanted one and it survived so they're not too delicate. Usually, the big price tag signals a tender tree. Bloodgood is the most often one I see and they grow quite large. Putting them into the sun so it can filter through makes a spectacular show. If you want filigree type leaves, try the dissectum species which will be in either green, yellow, red or mixed. I especially like these as they give texture and have an airy look to them. Additionally, go for the weeping ones because they are extremely interesting in formation, being mound like it appearance. I tried so many from seed this year but none came up. They need to be chilled to germinate. There are so many varieties and sometimes the nurseries only carry the standard types. If you really want a specimen you may get it shipped as a bare root from the U.K. if you fail to see one locally. Here's a good site for pics of the species which I mentioned. http://japanese-maple.com/seeds.html
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irish Trees & other trees grown in Ireland All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: