Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland

Oh how it pays to shop around!!!

Most Recent Posts Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns
funny
Last post: Margo
At last! A garden joke. (except maybe it's not a joke!)
Last post: Ado 2
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Greengage

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
raisedbed
Rank attained: Hazel Tree
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 10:52 am    Post subject: Oh how it pays to shop around!!! Reply with quote

Last week i decided to prepare "abit" of extra ground for more potatoes in my garden,this "abit" soon developed into a plot that required 4 stone of potato seed Shocked So yesterday I went on the hunt to get my new seed,I went to a few of the local suppliers that are good for their seed but to my dissapointment they were all out of it and said I'd probably be doing well to get it now.I paid a visit to homebase to see did they have any,and they did,an organic seed that cost between 1 and 2 euro and on inspection there was only 5 seed in the bag Twisted Evil I then remember a store that provides the farmers with their potato seed and said I will chance them to see would I have any luck. I now have my 4 stone (over 300 certified potato seed) planted which cost me.....12.50 Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
windy
Rank attained: Hawthorn Tree

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice one raisedbed, your nor around my area though i bet
Blowin
Rank attained: Orchard owner

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have a chat with your local postman. He (or she) will have their finger on the local pulse and will know who grows what and where.

Gardeners are generally a gregarious lot who enjoy spreading their knowledge and someone near you who is an established grower will know which varieties produce best and will probably be quite happy to order a few extra for you when he buys his own seed.

Our man, Pat Joe, has been a mine of information for me but, if the GIY Ireland idea becomes more widespread (see elsewhere on this site), you may see little local groups springing up for exchanging ideas, plants etc.

windy

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blowin wrote:
Have a chat with your local postman. He (or she) will have their finger on the local pulse and will know who grows what and where.

Gardeners are generally a gregarious lot who enjoy spreading their knowledge and someone near you who is an established grower will know which varieties produce best and will probably be quite happy to order a few extra for you when he buys his own seed.

Our man, Pat Joe, has been a mine of information for me but, if the GIY Ireland idea becomes more widespread (see elsewhere on this site), you may see little local groups springing up for exchanging ideas, plants etc.

thanks for the reply Blowin ill coler the posty and see what happens Very Happy
thanks again
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: