Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Perennials, Ferns and Ornamental grasses

Agapanthus-Should there be some sign of growth by now?

Most Recent Posts oops
Last post: kindredspirit
funny
Last post: kindredspirit
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Margo
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
catman
Rank attained: Hawthorn Tree

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 1:25 pm    Post subject: Agapanthus-Should there be some sign of growth by now? Reply with quote

Hi, I got a white and blue agapanthus last year and planted them out in a well drained bed with a lot of mulch. As yet there is no sign of any shoots or growth from either this year. I have seen a few agapanthus in the garden centres lately and have been wondering if I should get some to replace the ones I got last year. I was just wondering has anyone else seen signs of life from their agapanthus yet?
Sive
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, my agapanthus leaves are all growing well and quite large now, this is their second spring, although I got no flowers last year and am hoping for some this year.
I've never grown them before, so I'm afraid I can't give you any more advice about them.
catman

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Sive, looks like I'll have a job for this weekend. They are the only casulty after the winter so its not too bad. Everything else is thriving if not a little delayed.
mountainy man

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my white agapanthus is only just emerging, it has tips of leaves comming out the size of my little finger nail and only at one of the crowns have a closer look before you give it the last rites , it was -18 here during the winter so am suprised it survived at all . am going to give it a feed of comfrey juice poor thing ! Very Happy
Protein
Rank attained: Ash Tree
Rank attained: Ash Tree

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have several clumps of agapanthus, and have lost some from the winter.

Funnily, I have lost the older clumps - as time goes on, the clumps become exposed with years of root and stem growth - the very reason the extreme cold killed them.

I would echo what M/Man has said, scratch beneath the surface to see if you can see any signs of life - I forgot one of my clumps until I was raking and found green shoots

Sive, if your agapanthus doesn't flower this year, chances they have it too comfy, and you will have to abuse them i.e. poorer soils / warmer conditions / restricted root growth

me

catman

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a little scratch around below the surface at the weekend and saw no signs of shoots. On both plants I did find lots of roots just below the surface. Does the Agapanthus have very high roots. I found a lot of roots just a half inch to an inch below the surface, is this nomal for Agapanthus. What should I be looking for when I check the rootball to tell if its still healthy, as a novice I didn't really know what I was looking for when I was checking at the weekend?
Sive
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that Protein.....as I said, I've never grown agapanthus before, but I adore the flowers, so I now need to learn how to grow it successfully.
Abuse it may be, so, next year!
artalis
Rank attained: Silver Birch Tree
Rank attained: Silver Birch Tree

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 3:21 pm    Post subject: agapanthus Reply with quote

Healthy soft roots ( including agapanthus) are generally pale colured, creamy yellow or white. Dead roots are brown/dark and strawlike.

Exceptions are woody plants, trees etc which will have more substancial roots some of which almost appear like woody branches in texture and colour.

Agapanthus like to be kept dryish and like shelter. Perhaps yours is just slowish to get going due to the severe winter or else positioning.

I have a v. poor patch of soil in my front garden which is also exposed on three sides ( North, East and South ) and where I planted some agapanthus at least 2 yrs ago. Growth was very minimal until this year, when a smallish group of leaves emerged, followed by about 5 black coloured stems with dark exotic buds.

Took a while that one perhaps due to the harsher conditions in that position. I have blues, whites and purples besides, all doing well. Started my first one in a pot and the agapanthus roots loved being in a tight corner, producing a healthy flower crop in July/August.

My white, is flowering in profusion for the first time this year, again it is in a colder position and has taken 2 to 3 yrs to get well established.

Smile
artalis
Liz D

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agapanthus love sun and space and funnily enough, in my experience, like being next to each other!

I found that any bit of frost puts them back the following spring/summer. Following warmer winters they grow much larger.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Perennials, Ferns and Ornamental grasses All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: