Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland

Cucumber in conservatory

Most Recent Posts Is this a Verbascum
Last post: Margo
Rose disease
Last post: Sue Deacon
Compost question
Last post: Keeks
Announcement: Free Bloom 2017 tickets for three lucky members.
Last post: James Kilkelly

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
SorchaBC
Rank attained: Hawthorn Tree

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 2:55 pm    Post subject: Cucumber in conservatory Reply with quote

Hi Smile

Am trying cucumber for the first time this year. Have loads of seedlings coming along nicely in pots. Got some grow bags for the tomatoes, can I plant the cucumbers in these as well, or would they be better off in large pots?

Also, since I have 2 types of tomatoes growing, should I keep them apart or are they ok together? I know with some veg eg. sweetcorn, you can't plant different varieties near one another.

Thanks Very Happy
michael brenock
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i never heard of tha rule of not planting different varieties of sweetcorn near each other, so it is quite safe to put the cucumber varieties near each other. Some varieties of tomatoes carry virus diseases and do not show the symptoms but can pass it on to others by visiting insects or by hand when de-shooting.
michael brenock horticultural advisor (retired)
SorchaBC

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah Michael, apparently if sweetcorn cross-pollinate they'll be much less sweet than if you have only one variety. I'm only growing one type to be safe!

You're dead right about spreading problems by hand though, (green)fingers crossed that everything will stay disease free and I won't have to disinfect between plants! Laughing
mcgrueser
Rank attained: Rowan Tree
Rank attained: Rowan Tree

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to go back to Sorcha's question Michael, are big pots better than grow-bags for tomatoes and cucumbers, or vice versa, or should they both give an equally good produce with proper care and feed etc? Thanks
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: