Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Garden Photo gallery & Plant Identification area

EPS Planters, expanded polystyrene foam

Most Recent Posts Christmas reading.
Last post: Greengage
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Greengage
At last! A garden joke. (except maybe it's not a joke!)
Last post: Sue Deacon
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
foamcutter
Rank attained: Hawthorn Tree

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 7:50 pm    Post subject: EPS Planters, expanded polystyrene foam Reply with quote

Hi, l thought I'd post pictures of a recent project that we worked on.
The planter is made from EPS (expanded polystyrene foam) that is coated in a render then painted.

This is the raw polystyrene planter just put in position and ready to be transported to site. It is approx. 3m x 4m and 1.2m at the highest point.

This is the planter almost finished and planted out.

Apologies for the self promotion but l thought it would be intresting to hear your opinions.

Cheers
James Kilkelly

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks good Foamcutter.
That looks like a seat built in as well, so it is multifunctional.
I presume it is light and easily transportable before planting.
In fact it looks a gardener could possibly take the planter with him when he moves house.

http://www.allotments.ie/ Ireland's allotments.
On Twitter... http://twitter.com/Allotments

Garden Consultation & Design.

Try my Garden Design home study course!
foamcutter

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GPI,
Quote:
That looks like a seat built in as well, so it is multifunctional.
I presume it is light and easily transportable before planting.
In fact it looks a gardener could possibly take the planter with him when he moves house.

The seat area is more easily seen in the raw version, it now has a removeable cushion (not in the photo). EPS is quite light and it was easy to lift but was quite bulky. When the planter is rendered it adds quite a lot of weight and all the joints are glued together to make a complete unit. With a size of 4m x 3m it wouldn't be the kind of item that you could move easily, better to leave it and get another custom design done...... Smile
MargeSimpson
Rank attained: Rowan Tree

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That looks cool and it's a good idea. Do you put drainage holes in the bottom of the planting area or is the rendered finish porous?
foamcutter

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
That looks cool and it's a good idea

Thanks Marge.

EPS ( expanded polystyrene foam) absorbs no water. We put holes in the sunken planted areas just in case we had very heavy rain (?) and the plants couldn't take it. The rendered finish isn't porous.
birdie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi foamcutter.
Where are these types of planter going to be available? Is it mass produced or a custom build?
foamcutter

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Birdie,

The planters that we have completed have been custom built. It's early days yet so we are doing research into this area to see if their is a market for this type of product. I would hope that they would be available through a landscape designer or possibly garden centers. As l said it is early days yet.
squire1
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Foamcutter, these look like an excellent idea.

Any idea of cost at this stage. I would imaging they would be substantially cheaper than building the same out of concrete or block.

Am I correct in thinking they require nothing more than a flat hardstanding surface rather than foundations.

Are they a modular unit that can be put togeteher to make different shapes or do they come as one specifically manufactured/designed piece?

What is the render, just a painted sand/cement mix? What do you use to bond it to the EPS

I know it's early days as you say, but I can see great potential in these if the munufacturing costs can be kept reasonable.
foamcutter

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Squire1Thanks for your comments.

Quote:
I would imaging they would be substantially cheaper than building the same out of concrete or block.

This is part of the idea, to create shapes that would be difficult to do using traditional materials. We hope to provide designers with more scope on design.

Quote:
Am I correct in thinking they require nothing more than a flat hardstanding surface rather than foundations.

The EPS (expanded polystyrene foam) is very light, the planter in the example was laid on a compacted flat surface.

Quote:
Are they a modular unit that can be put togeteher to make different shapes or do they come as one specifically manufactured/designed piece?

So far each planter has been bespoke. Basically designed to suit the location and clients requirements. They are made in separate parts to aid transportation and assembled on site.

Quote:
What is the render, just a painted sand/cement mix? What do you use to bond it to the EPS

We use a render and mesh system, there are a variety of manufacturers who have systems designed for EPS. (Weber, Parex, Dryvit)

Quote:
I can see great potential in these if the munufacturing costs can be kept reasonable.

That what we hope for too. Creating unusual shapes in block work would be very expensive mainly due to labour. I don't think we are going to compete with the small scale planters but there may be a market for the large scale garden feature.
mdvaden

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How much does that weigh? Or how light is it?

How long does it take to shape a planter like that?

Portland Landscape & Trees
foamcutter

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Md,
I wouldn't know exactly how much it would weigh, but the raw planter was split into 5 parts and they were very easily carried. It is the size that makes them awkward. When in position the joints were stuck together and the whole item was rendered. This makes it heavy enough that it wont blow away. In its raw state I would guess that it would weigh very roughly 90-100kg 200-220lbs.

The cutting process would take about a day to shape the planter. That is the easy part.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Garden Photo gallery & Plant Identification area All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: