Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irish Weeds & Pests and Diseases of the garden.

lady birds

Most Recent Posts funny
Last post: Sue Deacon
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns
At last! A garden joke. (except maybe it's not a joke!)
Last post: Ado 2
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Greengage

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
foxxx
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 12:40 pm    Post subject: lady birds Reply with quote

hi, i am very new to gardening so your patience will be appreciated. my problem is i have some wild roses and a herb patch in and around my garden which were almost destroyed by greenfly/blackfly last year so i am determined not to let it happen again.i do not want to use pesticides and the soapy water didnt do much.i noticed the flies a couple of weeks ago and was about to order some ladybirds on line when i came across a "herd" of ladybirds under some hedging whlie i was weeding, there was 30-40 of them on the ground,all within a couple of sq. meters.i was delighted and gathered up as many as i could and followed the guide i found on this site as regards releasing them on to my roses which are crawling with flies.the next day i spent ages going around checking to see what if any improvement was made and too my disgust there was no sign of a single ladybird on the roses.they are gone.so i went back to the spot where i found them and nothing.i checked the hedging and there is no sign of flies on it.so i dont understand why they were in a spot 20metres away in big numbers and no prey but they wont stay put where there is an abundance of food.any advice?
monkeynic
Rank attained: Rowan Tree

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont know about lady birds but I have a spray thats completely organic and stops bugs. Its just rapeseed oil and water I think. Can get it almost anywhere.
foxxx

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks monkeynic. is it a home made recipe or shop bought.
monkeynic

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shop bought. Its called bug clear for fruit and veg. But is also good for ornamental plants. I got a bottle last year and still got lots left, is a bit pricey but it lasts ages. I chose it as for veg you can spray it and eat in same day as opposed to the usual week (stupid when growing lettuce and things). I have also used on roses without a problem. Hope this helps you, you can look it up online I imagine if you want to check it before you buy it. Good luck. Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irish Weeds & Pests and Diseases of the garden. All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: