Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Shrubs in Ireland ... Hedging in Ireland

Should I Plant a hedge around a decking / conservatory

Most Recent Posts Christmas reading.
Last post: Greengage
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Greengage
At last! A garden joke. (except maybe it's not a joke!)
Last post: Sue Deacon
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
DamoH
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 11:47 am    Post subject: Should I Plant a hedge around a decking / conservatory Reply with quote

Hello
I am currently building a decking / patio area around my conservatory and was wondering if I should plant a hedge around it to act as a wind break and for privacy (see attached sketch)

The hedge will be grown on raised beds approx 400mm wide and 400mm deep would this be sufficient for a hedge. I am looking to grow the hedge to 5ft tall and as narrow as possible.
I am concerned that a hedge will attract a lot of insects / birds etc? What would you recommend for a suitable hedge given the above information.

Thanks for any help
Damien

dh.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  82.82 KB
 Viewed:  5057 Time(s)

dh.JPG

Protein
Rank attained: Ash Tree

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Damien,

May I ask, which way is north? How much sun would it receive? I presume its a town garden?

Planting a hedge so close to the house will give your privacy, but could also cut your light.

Get back and lets see what options you may have.

Cheers
M

DamoH

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello
North is the top right hand corner of the sketch. The site is elevated and exposed (no perimeter hedge planted), thus I get a lot of wind.
It receives sun in the early morning (right hand side of sketch) and late afternoon (left hand side). The house is in the countryside but it's over looked from the top left hand corner of the sketch by another house.

Thanks
D
James Kilkelly

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 9:36 am    Post subject: Re: Should I Plant a hedge around a decking / conservatory Reply with quote

Quote:

I am currently building a decking / patio area around my conservatory and was wondering if I should plant a hedge around it to act as a wind break and for privacy (see attached sketch)

Might be a good idea.
However, wrapping a hedge around a deck leads to shade, leads to slippiness on the deck, unless a rigid cleaning regime is followed.
for that reason I would opt for a deciduous hedge to allow some much needed sunlight filter through in winter.

Quote:

The hedge will be grown on raised beds approx 400mm wide and 400mm deep would this be sufficient for a hedge.

600mm x 600mm would be preferable.
But keep up to scratch on watering and feeding and you will eventually get to your desired height.

Quote:

I am concerned that a hedge will attract a lot of insects / birds etc?

Can't say it would be something I would dislike.

Quote:
What would you recommend for a suitable hedge given the above information.

Based on size, deciduousness, and being unattractive to insects / birds (few if any flowers, fruit and thorns), then have a look at the following........

Fagus sylvatica (green beech) spaced at 30cm (1 ft) creates an deciduous (sheds and renews leaves annually) hedge 6 to 8ft tall at a moderate growth rate.
It will retain its old leaves over winter though, if trimmed regularly.
Grows best on well drained soils, for heavy soils you can instead plant hornbeam.
Looks right at home in rural areas.

Fagus sylvatica "Atropurpurea" (copper beech) spaced at 30cm (1 ft) creates an deciduous (sheds and renews leaves annually) hedge 6 to 8ft tall at a moderate growth rate.
It will retain its old leaves over winter though.

Or leaving aside the deciduousness, and favouring year- round closure you could opt for one of the evergreens.....

Aucuba japonica (dog laurel) spaced at 60cm (2ft) creates an evergreen hedge 6 to 8ft tall at a moderate growth rate, 6-9ins per year
A hedge that copes with shade and displays decorative red fruit.
Many gardeners report that this hedging variety is resistant to rabbit and hare attack due to its bitter taste.
Copes with shade.

Aucuba japonica 'Variegata' (spotted laurel) spaced at 60cm (2ft) creates an evergreen hedge 6 to 8ft tall at a moderate growth rate, 6-9ins per year.
A hedge with decorative red fruit.
Many gardeners report that this Aucuba hedging variety also is resistant to rabbit and hare attack due to its bitter taste.

Elaeagnus x ebbingii (oleaster) spaced at 45cm (1.5 ft) creates an evergreen hedge 6 to 8ft tall at a morderate growth rate.
A hedge with white autumn flowers that copes well by the sea.

Elaeagnus pungens 'Maculata' (variegated oleaster) spaced at 45cm (1.5 ft) creates an evergreen hedge 6 to 8ft tall at a morderate growth rate.
A hedge with white autumn flowers that copes well by the sea.

Griselinia littoralis (mirror plant / broadleaf) spaced at 45cm (1.5 ft) creates an evergreen hedge 6 to 8ft tall at a rapid growth rate.
A hedge that copes well by the sea.
Not totally hardy, can be damaged by a hard frost.

Images of all these can be found here........... Hedging plants in Ireland (size, spacing, flowers and fruit)

http://www.allotments.ie/ Ireland's allotments.
On Twitter... http://twitter.com/Allotments

Garden Consultation & Design.

Try my Garden Design home study course!
Protein

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 8:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Should I Plant a hedge around a decking / conservatory Reply with quote

Quote:
Quote:

I am concerned that a hedge will attract a lot of insects / birds etc?

Can't say it would be something I would dislike.

Leylandii can host midges (esp near water.) - not the best thing to have around your decking area.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Shrubs in Ireland ... Hedging in Ireland All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: