Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Perennials, Ferns and Ornamental grasses

Should some plants in garden have warning stickers on them ?

Most Recent Posts Bloom 2017 pics
Last post: tagwex
Garden Stones
Last post: Blowin
Anyone know what this is called
Last post: Margo
What is this plant guys
Last post: Bill2015

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
Sive
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 7:52 am    Post subject: Should some plants in garden have warning stickers on them ? Reply with quote

What does anyone think about plants that we buy in garden centres, that turn out to be unmerciful thugs ?
Should we not be warned, quite clearly with an "invasive" sticker ?
I am currently struggling with a reddish-coloured euphorbia whose progeny seem to be popping up everywhere.
Should we start a list of thugs to warn other forum users ? Question
Sive

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apologies...that title should read garden CENTRES.
Protein
Rank attained: Ash Tree
Rank attained: Ash Tree

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I somewhat agree, however its complex territory - some plants will thrive and have a higher progeny rate given the optimal conditions

Additionally - lets put this way, if you were a grower selling plants, would you put "invasive" of "prolific seeder" on the label.... you may not sell as many plants....

The one thing they should put on labels ( and I think this is in the pipeline) is whether they are toxic / poisonous or not.

me

forest flame
Rank attained: Yew tree

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

euphorbias secrete a milky substance that is a skin irritant to many people. also the herb ruta graveleons can cause a bad rash.
mountainy man
Rank attained: Hawthorn Tree

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi am new around here which euphorbia did you plant have just planted griffithii "fireglow" hope it behaves itself .

have also got inula grantiflorium and to say its vigorous is putting it mildly ! will have to have a purge in autumn. Shocked
ormondsview
Rank attained: Silver Birch Tree
Rank attained: Silver Birch Tree

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 10:11 am    Post subject: invasives Reply with quote

I have euphorbia, the purple kind and put it in the front border by the road for some purple color interest. Out of control plants that have runners are my biggest horrors, taking up too much gardening time to control and this year my hands and knees are packing in. Euonymous, lily of the valley, ivy and bishops weed are horrors. The second kind of invasive is the seed bearing burning bush shrub or violet that gets into the lawn, the former into anyplace behind your back and grows like a science fiction monster plant. The third is the one that never dies, even after an axe attack. Berberis or barbary falls into this category, as well as forsythia. The root go down to another country!

Saying all that, I have found some new cultivars for the barbary and what I hacked back, I'm now trying to propagate from cuttings. Strangely, this plant was banned for years because it escaped into the farmland and like the rhodo caused havok (in Canada) because it carried a rust which affected the wheat crops.

Plan of action: get a fancy ipad with an app that links to dave's garden and check everything before you buy. All plant dealers should know which plants they're selling and have a "do not sell list."
Sive

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi mountainy man, no, I don't think my euphorbia is the fireglow one you mention........ mine has dark purple-red leaves and acid green/yellow bracts, I'm not sure what it's called though.
And what a coincidence, that you mention your inula too.....would that be known as a perennial sunflower ? I planted one last year and already it is sending shoots up all over the place.... I'm going to take it out completely now...I hope I haven't made a big mistake bringing it into the garden at all.
mountainy man

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi sive
your euphorbis sounds like they might be amalgloides purpurea (not sure of spelling!) it is a bushy type i have a couple and have no problems with them . i think that the perenial sunflower is different to inula grandiflorum its helianthus something or other although its going mad like yours . mine i got as a root cutting a couple of years ago from a friend its now about 3 metres across , is beautifull tho, flowers all summer long
Sive

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi m.m. all the unwanted euphorbias may be my fault as I didn't dead-head it last year, so they may all have grown from seed. I'm sure if I had it somewhere else I'd be delighted with how it's spreading, but it's just a bit too prolific for my liking in a mixed border. Out it goes !
As for the perennial sunflower, I just hope I can get rid of that...it seems to spread by underground tubers.
i still think invasive plants should be labelled as such....but maybe with a less alarming word !
mountainy man

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would a George Bush be an invasive plant ? i think its extinct in the wild ! Laughing

sorry probably in bad taste!

stronger labeling is a good idea ,calling something vigerous doesnt do it for some plants ie, mint, persicaria, tansy, anenome.x hybrida, perriwinkle amongst others.

medieval knievel

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stachys is a plant which i wish i'd never planted. it's a bully and seeds everywhere.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Perennials, Ferns and Ornamental grasses All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: