Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Container gardening in Ireland, including Annual Bedding Plants

What would you do?

Most Recent Posts Planting ideas for a very shaded area
Last post: Sue Deacon
Anybody know what this is
Last post: Margo
Horrible weed-infested spotty lawn
Last post: Keeks
laneway weed - keep it or unwanted invasive?
Last post: Silver surfer

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
blagadan
Rank attained: Hazel Tree
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 11:07 am    Post subject: What would you do? Reply with quote

We have a small deck at the back of the house and we use it regularly, eating out most dry evenings. The problem we have is there is very little shelter there and the wind tends to funnel between the house and garage. I made a long planter 3 years ago with the intention of growing a wall to act as a windbreak. I put in 3 box trees but they have not done very well there. perhaps 2 inches of growth in 3 years. They may have done a lot better if I had planted 5 trees not 3. But anyway, my plan is to relocate the box trees elsewhere and plant something that grows more vigorously.

Recently I built a second, slightly longer planter to give more shelter by the dining table and chairs. I will be filling it with soil this weekend, ready for planting.

Does anyone have a suggestion for what trees/shrubs would be good to plant in the containers? I have a very limited knowledge of planting. Rolling Eyes

I was leaning towards planting copper beech but that is just me not being very creative. Besides, I dont know how this variety would cope in a planter.

I am wide open to suggestions!! If this was your deck, what would you put in the planters to create an effective windbreak?

Both planters are 20 inches wide, 20 inches deep and 4-5ft in length.

Sive
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think anything in the planters will give you the sort of shelter you are looking for. If I understand you correctly, does the prevailing wind come from the right of the photo, between the house and the garage ? If so, I would look at the possibility of erecting a strong trellis somewhere on that grassed area, and planting it up with creepers, and that should filter the wind for you. Or even plant a row of evergreen shrubs....but I'm not sure what is round that corner....do I see paving/a path ?
Michael196
Rank attained: Silver Birch Tree
Rank attained: Silver Birch Tree

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

think you ned to consider plantig in the ground where Sive is suggetsing a trellis. Nothing grown in a planter box ill give you the long term sustainability and densing that you require for shelter. Containers such as planters and pots are by their nature restrictive. To get somthing large and ribust going, consider planting accross that gap. or a trllis as in Sive 's idea
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Container gardening in Ireland, including Annual Bedding Plants All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: