Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Shrubs in Ireland ... Hedging in Ireland

Laurel hedge recently sown on a ditch not thriving

Most Recent Posts Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: tippben
At last! A garden joke. (except maybe it's not a joke!)
Last post: kindredspirit
funny
Last post: tagwex
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: tagwex

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
greenfingers10
Rank attained: Hazel Tree
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 4:33 pm    Post subject: Laurel hedge recently sown on a ditch not thriving Reply with quote

Recently sown laurel hedging on a ditch and some of the leaves are turning yellow. Chicken manure was applied at sowing time (two fistfulls manure per plant) together with a good compost at the same time. Regularly watered during the recent hot spell, every second day. Sown in early April during very warm weather. Plants used were approx 3years old and approx 2ft high at planting time.

Any suggestions on what action I should now take?

Many thanks for all your advice and help.
Sive
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a short stretch of laurel hedging which is also sporting some yellow leaves. I'm actually getting annoyed with it now, as I thought it was tough as old boots, and wouldn't need so much fussing over. I'm thinking of taking it out now.
Could anyone who has healthy, green shiny laurel hedging please tell us what soil it likes ?
I think I read somewhere that you should feed laurel with fertiliser suitable for acid-loving plants.........??????
michael brenock
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if the lower leaves are turning yellow then that is not a problem. Where all the leaves are turning yellow then it is serious. if individual plants are affected then it may be due to root disturbance, drying out water-logging or disease. make sure plants are firm in the ground. Distressed plants should not be manured unless it is known that the soil is deficient in some nutrient. never put fertiliser in direct contact with roots. Allow the roots to come to the fertiliser.
michael brenock horticultural advisor (retired)
inishindie
Rank attained: Tree plantation keeper

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 10:26 am    Post subject: pics Reply with quote

Hi

Any pics so we can see what's happening?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Shrubs in Ireland ... Hedging in Ireland All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: