Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Garden planning, prep and landscape design in Ireland

2nd generation in the garden

Most Recent Posts funny
Last post: Margo
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns
At last! A garden joke. (except maybe it's not a joke!)
Last post: Ado 2
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Greengage

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
SorchaBC
Rank attained: Hawthorn Tree

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 12:01 pm    Post subject: 2nd generation in the garden Reply with quote

So we have a half acre plot, that was originally a field when my parents built here in the late '70's. They put in trees and shrubs, mostly on the border, but it's been left to run riot over the last 10 years or so. Now myself and himself are trying to establish some order, but enjoy the chaos too!

As a brief guide: it's a square plot, bungalow in the centre. There's some gorgeous old trees out the front on the roadside, they'll be staying! Along the sides then we have Silver Birch and something else varigated and tall, both lovely and staying. They've been in about 30 years now. The Leylandii are down the sides of the back garden, and they're HUGE. At a guess they're about 30-35 feet, but we're cutting them back to 12-15 feet this year. There's some old dogwood that's gotten totally out of hand that's going in the autumn, and our roundabout in the front is, frankly, a nightmare and the whole thing will be razed.

What we want is a productive, cottage style garden. We have AWFUL soil, it's all clay, but have been improving any beds we put in by mixing through sand and compost. Out the front the plan is to have fruit trees linked together by flowering beds, splitting the lawn into more usable sections, with the back garden being the working garden where we have all our raised beds (4 so far).

I've planted 2 gorgeous types of clematis around the dog run. They should spread to cover it in flowers in the next few years, and they have the bonus of being pretty hardy and evergreen. The plan is also to plant Wisteria on the side of the house, and allow it to spread too.

The sheds have been stained green and there's honeysuckle now being trained over them.

I'm totally new to doing gardening on this scale, before now all I've really done is grow a few bits and pieces indoors. Cottage style plant suggestions would be so greatly appreciated, as would any advice on companion planting, as with 2 cats, a dog and the hope of eating our own produce we don't want to accidently poison anyone so we're trying to avoid chemicals and do everything organically. Until now all we knew about gardening was Miracle Gro so...

I'll post some pics up when I can. We recently dug up a 25 year old Pampas Grass (never, ever again), removed all the trees that died over our last horrid winter and started putting in flowerbeds, training blackcurrents into a hedge, and had our cherry blossoms in flower for the first time in over 10 years! Very Happy

We're lucky in having this much land to use so we really want to do it justice.
Protein
Rank attained: Ash Tree
Rank attained: Ash Tree

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the site.

Sounds like you have your work cut out for the next few.....errrr years...

The one thing I would add is take into consideration a "back of house" area - eg. old or unused pots, wood, coal, compost, potting table, plants being nursed - allow yourself a screened area for this if you don't have this already.

I would make your veg beds as ornamental as possible hence it would be part of the garden.

Here is a list of classic cottage style garden plants and some helpful guides:

http://www.cottage-garden.org/design/garden_plan.htm
http://www.bbc.co.uk/gardening/design/plant_recipes/cottage_garden.shtml
http://www.bbc.co.uk/gardening/htbg2/flat/module3/top_ten_plants1.shtml
http://www.vanmeuwen.com/catalogue/cottage-gardens.html

Looking forward to some of your pictures

Regards
me

SorchaBC

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Protein,

Yeah, no kidding about the few years of work we have in for us! I'm going for a softly, softly approach and not taking out anything from the 'old' garden until I can replace it. We ripped out the pampas grass, it died a death over the winter.

Thanks for the links for the cottage garden, they'll be added to my list!

This is a pic from October 2008, showing the front drive from the house. The evergreens have since been halved, and I'll spend the next few years slowly shaping them.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Garden planning, prep and landscape design in Ireland All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: