Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irish Trees & other trees grown in Ireland

Cherry Tree Not Flowering

Most Recent Posts Cleaaning polytunels/greenhouses.
Last post: tagwex
I'm new here
Hi, guy here trying to grow stuff in a tunnel
Introduce yoursellf to whom.......................

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
mark81j
Rank attained: Hazel Tree
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 2:06 pm    Post subject: Cherry Tree Not Flowering Reply with quote

I have a 13 year old Cherry tree which flowered every spring and was always healthy - However last spring, an early frost attacked two of it's branches and killed them, I removed those branches earlier this year... When Spring arrived this year, new leaves had produced, but not a flower bud to be seen, the leaves are also green, when they were always a redish bronze colour before the tree flowered, later turning green in the summer months.
The current leaves have holes and tears in them and don't look too healthy at all. the tree trunk itself doesn't show any signs of disease...

I don't know what to do to try and help it?

any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
Mark
michael brenock
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the more likely cause of the non flowering is that the tree was "top grafted" and that when you were pruning you cut off the scion or flowering portion and you are now left with what was originally the rootstock. There may be a small portion of the flowering cherry left and this may grow later. if the leaves are different to what they used to look like then you have cut out the flowering part. it is unlikely that frost was the cause of the shoots dying back, more likely a disease.
michael brenock horticultural advisor (retired)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irish Trees & other trees grown in Ireland All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: