Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Water features in Ireland, including all aspects of water gardening.

Polytunnel plastic as pond liner

Most Recent Posts 2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Greengage
At last! A garden joke. (except maybe it's not a joke!)
Last post: Sue Deacon
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns
funny
Last post: tagwex

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
Shayne
Rank attained: Hazel Tree
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 10:39 am    Post subject: Polytunnel plastic as pond liner Reply with quote

Wondering if anyone has used the above as a liner. Dug out big pond, got quote for BIG price. Is there any less expensive way to do it? How about truck taurpaulin?
Ideas welcome as hole is looking a bit tired with a drizzle of water in the end. Thnx.

vulkan
Rank attained: Rowan Tree

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, sorry, but for a pond you should use a pond liner, concrete or fibreglass. Anything else will not last and costs more in the long run as you have to buy that and then buy the proper material.

Most plastic "sheets" are too thin, not UV stabalised or both.
ormondsview
Rank attained: Silver Birch Tree
Rank attained: Silver Birch Tree

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 2:51 pm    Post subject: pond liner Reply with quote

I've used rubber and if there are no stones below to cause friction, then it will last 10 to 15 years. It is the material for our big pond and it is 3/8inch thickness. Never have it exposed to sunlight as it dries up and cracks and perishes. So, watch water level, make it gradual dip if possible. Here's the stuff http://www.garden-pond-supplies.com/Pondmaster_EDPM_Synthetic_Rubber_Pond_Liner_p/02106.htm See who your local dealers are. No doubt they ship.

I use the pond on a high point and put in a hose which drains by gravity to water my plants while I refill the pond each week, just topping it up. Useful to have a waterfall system because it needs to have air to avoid stagnant algae buildup.
forest flame
Rank attained: Yew tree

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

depending on the size it may be cheaper to concrete it.though conrete is porous it will seal itself in time with the formation of algae etc.
vulkan

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

forest flame wrote:
depending on the size it may be cheaper to concrete it.though conrete is porous it will seal itself in time with the formation of algae etc.

"Slight problem" with that. Concrete is lethal to fish. (Ok, it's the lime in the cement that is lethal) A pool built with concrete has to be sealed, to stop the water from escaping, and to stop it killing the fish.
SorchaBC
Rank attained: Hawthorn Tree

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On a similiar note; we were thinking of using the old middle from our waterbed. The plan is to split it open, remove the filler, and use the rubber membrane. It's for an area that gets waterlogged all the time anyway, so the idea is to embrace that and have a shallow aquatic plant area. Has anyone any suggestions in relation to this?
vulkan

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't do it. From what you have said the problem is two fold:

If the proposed area already gets waterlogged then anything water proof you put in the ground is liable to get lifted out of where you put it as the water table rises. It is not unusual if an area gets flooded for any rigid ponds to be lifted clean out of the ground. With anything flexible they just get flipped out at one or more edges or pushed up in the middle like a giant blister.

The other problem with using an old water bed or any other non aquatic product is what is actually in the make up of the material? There may be an anti algaecide to stop the water going off colour as well as a host of other "nasties"

Years ago a friend of mine had his brick built pond sealed with human grade "paint" (It is used to seal the inside of water storage tanks that as humans we get our water from.) The water that comes in contact with this "paint" is fit for human consumption.
So if its fit for humans it must be better than fit for fish and so ok for a pond.
NO, it killed all the fish, it contains an algaecide that is harmless to people, but lethal to fish.

Aquatic use products do not contain any chemicals that are harmful to aquatic life, anything else may do.

Although you said you want to put in just plants, later you may add fish, why not build a raised pond / flower bed, or if it stays waterlogged most of the time, why not plant directly in it?
Rockworld

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 5:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Polytunnel plastic as pond liner Reply with quote

Shayne wrote:
Wondering if anyone has used the above as a liner. Dug out big pond, got quote for BIG price. Is there any less expensive way to do it? How about truck taurpaulin?
Ideas welcome as hole is looking a bit tired with a drizzle of water in the end. Thnx.

Shane
Rubber pond liner is the best solution and it will be cheaper in the long term.
Rockworld

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 5:45 pm    Post subject: Re: pond liner Reply with quote

ormondsview wrote:
I've used rubber and if there are no stones below to cause friction, then it will last 10 to 15 years. It is the material for our big pond and it is 3/8inch thickness. Never have it exposed to sunlight as it dries up and cracks and perishes. So, watch water level, make it gradual dip if possible. Here's the stuff http://www.garden-pond-supplies.com/Pondmaster_EDPM_Synthetic_Rubber_Pond_Liner_p/02106.htm See who your local dealers are. No doubt they ship.

I use the pond on a high point and put in a hose which drains by gravity to water my plants while I refill the pond each week, just topping it up. Useful to have a waterfall system because it needs to have air to avoid stagnant algae buildup.

Pondliner is also available in Ireland. Note the thickness quoted in Ireland is metric measurement eg 1 mm meaning one millimetre as you will find some sites refer to mil which is imperial measurement. Simply put 1mm = 40mil
SorchaBC

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vulkan,

It does stay waterlogged all winter, but dries out in the spring/summer. Like now, it's totally dry but in winter we have a "lake" for weeks on end. I definately only want a shallow area for waterloving plants, have enough animals without going down the fish route Razz

I have some rubber pond liner as well, just figured the waterbed liner might be put to better use than filling a landfill. Ah, I'll find something to do with it somewhere!
vulkan

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SorchaBC wrote:
I have some rubber pond liner as well, just figured the waterbed liner might be put to better use than filling a landfill. Ah, I'll find something to do with it somewhere!

How can I put this politely?

I will try this.

Bin it.

If you keep hold of it until you find something useful to do with it, you will only be collecting junk. Some things you can keep and some you can't, that's one you cant, its also probably not UV stabilised either
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Water features in Ireland, including all aspects of water gardening. All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: